Let us schedule a Publish Date / Time for Content Pages

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Please allow us the ability to set a specific date and/or time for content pages to be published ahead of time.

It would be nice to be able to schedule those times in advance. There are times I don't want to publish something for students to see until after class and that requires remembering to go back and publish. Forgetting to do so only then creates chaos.  It'd be nice to just set those times once the page is designed and avoid those circumstances.

145 Comments
ichecaga
Community Novice

@danielle, how do you publish a file at a certain time? I can see the availability feature for quizzes and homework, but not for files (let alone pages). Ok, I see now in the publish icon it gives you that possibility, so just adding here to others: pages would be very useful to have published only after a certain date. 

anantj18
Community Novice

Yes, please add this

montgomery1
Community Participant

I would also like to be able to schedule a separate release date for pages within a module. Has there been any progress on this request?

davidmurphy
Community Member

completely agree with this feature request.

Heather_EdTech
Community Explorer

I completely agree. We moved all of our 6-12 classrooms from Google Classroom to Canvas because of the pandemic and really, we'll be here to stay for the long haul most likely. 

One feature that teachers heavily relied on was the ability to schedule everything. In this transition to Canvas, they've mentioned the wish for this feature of scheduling Canvas Pages. They would find it very helpful. Every minute of an educator's time saved is important! 

begneiss
Community Member

I would like to be able to set pages to publish on a certain date and unpublish on a certain date.

I was using assignments for this but it only turns off the submission link not viewability so I have to go into the slides I published in the assignment and turn them off there.  I can make it an assignment that doesn't take submissions but then the student have to manually clear from to do list and I am trying to get them never to do that.

rv2
Community Member

Canvas, please implement this request. This is absolutely basic functionality for an LMS (much more so than any of the ideas listed as "in development" at the time of writing). Its absence hampers the ability of teachers to schedule their courses. It is unbelievable this thread has been open since 2016 and has never been taken seriously.

rjf227
Community Participant

I wish this feature would be released instead of having to use clunky workarounds because it hasn't been implemented.

JimFitch
Community Member

Yes, please add a publish date/time. Can't really believe we are left to beg for this.

mariofiorini
Community Member

just adding my support to the publish date/time thread. First time Canvas user at University, coming from Blackboard. I miss the ability to HIDE pages, files, modules, etc. until a certain date tremendously. The LOCK feature is way worse since the students can still see what's inside a module or see the link to a file.