Lets get built in 3D Model viewing

0 Likes
(4)

I assign students to create 3D Models in TinkerCAD, Fusion360 and other programs. They then submit their completed models through canvas. 

At present I have to download the files individually and open them on the computer to view them. Which clutters up my computer with these files, and takes precious time waiting for the download to initiate (several seconds multiplied across a hundred students adds up quick), etc. 

A built in viewer would be especially helpful to quickly view the model and provide feedback. Filetypes such as STL and OBJ are particularly common and would be rendered pretty easily depending on the size of the files.

Icing on the cake would be adding text comments directly onto the rendering to comment about specific portions of the model (not actually, making 3D edits, just annotating similar to the annotation features for images that are uploaded).

3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@Brazedowl 

We've moved this idea forward for further discussion as a request to support OBJ and STL file types in DocViewer. However, the "icing on the cake" part of the idea description would most likely need to be developed as a partnership integration with each application provider individual, as commenting on different parts of a video during playback would require additional contributions from the provider themselves—so not quite the same as enabling comments on a static PNG or JPG upload.

Thanks!

k_saar
Community Explorer

These features would be really useful for us in the School of Dentistry, as we want to use 3D STL files to allow students to make denture designs and then upload them for assessment and feedback from their academic supervisors. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.