[Assignments] Limit Canvas File Upload Options

When an online submission assignment is created, and "file upload" is chosen, our district has 10 options for submitting a file (because of some additional apps we have installed). This is very overwhelming for our younger learners K-5. It would be great if teachers were able to choose which file upload options they want students to have access to, instead of the whole list.

Capture.PNG

Added to Theme

11 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Thanks for sharing this feedback about the submission options at your school, @LFPark . Those are enabled by the school—not by Instructure Canvas. The eLearning department for your district can work with teachers to narrow that list down. Would you contact them to see if they can disable some of the choices on that menu and simplify the process for younger learners?

LFPark
Community Explorer

@Stef_retired I do understand that admin can narrow it down, but I'm suggesting it be controlled by the teacher. There are times where I may want to give my students several of those options because I want them to have a choice. But then there are other times where I only want them to see the Google drive and webcam option. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@LFPark  The Select Submission Type section of this lesson shows the default choices; any additional choices that display for students are enabled by the school.

LFPark
Community Explorer

@Stef_retired Correct. But my suggestion is that teachers can pick and choose from these options that are enabled by the district admin. For example, I may have an assignment where I want students to simply pull something from their google drive. So I would only want that option to show. OR, there may be a time where I get them a choice in what they are doing--use Canvas studio, google drive, your webcam, or lucid press/chart to create a product. In that case, I would want them to have each of those options. The options I would want students to see would change often depending on what I want them to do. I would love the ability to choose each time which options show up instead of the default + added options from the district each time. I like the added options from the district because there are times where I would use them, but I don't want them displayed to students every time.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

Thanks for that helpful additional information, @LFPark . We've moved this idea forward for broader discussion, and the team responsible for Assignment Enhancements has eyes on it.

BethCrook
Community Coach
Community Coach

This has been often requested as well, as we want our students only using Studio and not using the Webcam.  Or only submitting through Google drive and not a file upload, etc.

KatieMiller
Community Novice

I support this request as well.  Sometimes, teachers want students to have more choices and sometimes, less choices are better.  

jconrad
Community Explorer

Would it be possible to keep it consistent with the RCE and allow districts to choose two tools to display with buttons instead of hiding them all?  We also included this suggestion on the Assignment Enhancement User Forum

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team