Limit Discussion Submission methods

0 Likes

I have students submit video a lot, and in normal assignments I can limit that submission to Media Recordings only. I do not allow them to submit through file submission because this usually forces me to download the file most of the time, and I can't just play the video in browser. When it comes to discussions, it's a complete free for all, and I need more control! The whole point of a discussion is to create a place for conversation, and if students have to download other student's videos rather than just watch in browser, then that tends to discourage the watching of them. Also, I really really don't want all of these files getting downloaded on to the local computers. 

2 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@mfuller2 

Thanks for sharing this idea. This is already possible to accomplish in discussions. Instructors can enable a setting to disable students' ability to attach files to their posts, as detailed in How do I allow students to attach files to a course discussion? (reverse the instructions to disable it). When the instructor disables the file upload setting, students can still share videos in their posts if they wish, but will need to do so by uploading their videos through the media button in the Rich Content Editor (RCE); other students will not need to download the file to view it, and the upload does not take up file storage for a graded discussion. Instructions for students are in How do I upload and embed a media file from my computer in the New Rich Content Editor as a student?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived