[Dashboard] Link for ALL COURSES on the Dashboard

An ALL COURSES link should be added to the Dashboard.  Either below the course cards, or in the right side navigation. 

Students sometime call during the first days of the semester because they cannot find their current courses.  I believe this happens for students who had Favorited courses to the Dashboard during the first week of their school year, but now those courses are unpublished and the new semester courses need to be Favorited. When they open the Dashboard, there are no Course Cards.   Providing a link on the Dashboard to ALL COURSES makes sense.  From a student point of view, they are seeing the courses they want to see first on the Dashboard with one click access to all their courses. 

32 Comments
a_coombs
Community Member

Hi Sonya - we had the same when testing on our Beta/Test instances - it's because the link doesn't point to the same site (i.e. it points to the live site) - when we put it on our live site, with the href pointing to the live site, it opened in the same window.

I'm assuming ways around this would be to make the href point to a relative URL (so it always points to "courses" relative to whatever site it's on) or else when on your Beta instance have it point to https://sunderland.beta.instructure.com/courses (I'm guessing that's your Beta site URL)

HTH

Tony

sonya_mcchristi
Community Member

That was it! Well done, and thank you!

sonya_mcchristi
Community Member

So... I was about to apply this to our live system, but first as a final test I added it back into our beta environment - it had been removed in a reset of course - and suddenly it's no longer working. The link isn't displaying at the top of the Dashboard, though I can see from the page source that the Javascript file is being loaded. I've contacted Canvas Support and they aren't aware of any changes which may have caused this to break. Is it still working for you Anthony?

a_coombs
Community Member

Hi Sonya - sorry, I should have returned here earlier to update. This stopped for us after the most recent update, but we have got it working again... from what I understood, it depends on where this function to add the link is called, and some change in how the dashboard page was loading caused it to stop working. The person who developed it tested and changed the code, but I think has folded it in with something else we're doing - they are on leave this week, but I will follow up and ask them to explain how it needed to be changed

sonya_mcchristi
Community Member

Great, thanks Antony (and sorry for the errant 'h' before!) ^_^

bryan_bortz
Community Novice

Please. The star system is very confusing. Our tech support often fields questions about courses going missing from confused students. And a link to all courses on the page would be a very simple solution.

bryan_bortz
Community Novice

Good idea!

Mary_W_W
Community Explorer

Dashboard would be great, but so would just putting the All Courses link at both the top AND the bottom of the Courses area. As an instructional designer, I'm in over 100 courses and ALWAYS need to get to All Courses, having a quick way to access this would be immensely helpful.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team