Linking YouTube promo video to Canvas course

It is possible to drive traffic from a banner in a YouTube clip to a website, as long as one can prove to YouTube the ownership of the site. There are several ways to do that as explained here
Since we have no way to prove ownership on a Canvas course, we can't establish a direct link for visitors to click on the promo and get to the course.
I believe it shouldn't be a big deal for the dev team to to learn Google / YouTube requirements and come up with a user friendly solution.

Additional explanation:

Sometimes you would want to put a short promo clip on YouTube to attract visitors to your course. one scenario may be attracting potential students to consider your institution. YouTube now has a feature that lets you point to your website. They applied a mechanism to verify your ownership of the redirected site. So in order to have a direct link to a Canvas course, we may need the dev team to develop an solution that will align with one of the options Google / YouTube provide.

5 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@zshilor ‌

I understand what your idea is, but I'm not understanding why?  Can you provide some use cases?  How would you use this and how would it be beneficial to learning?

kona
Community Champion

This feature idea is in response to the following discussion - https://community.canvaslms.com/thread/15867-how-to-drive-visitors-from-youtube-to-my-canvas-course 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Perfect!  Thank you, Kona!  That helps to put it in context!

jayde_colquhoun
Instructure
Instructure

Cool idea, Zeev. 

My company are currently looking at ways for us to use canvas as a marketing tool. This is a cool feature that we would use in our marketing videos. Voted up! Smiley Happy 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.