Links to folders, not just files, in pages

0 Likes
(4)

It would be very useful to be able to insert into pages a link to a folder.  Currently, links to files are possible, but not to folders.  This makes it difficult to refer directly to a group of files that students may need to work with.

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

RobDitto
Community Champion

Rated 5 stars! It's actually possible to make links to specific Files folders with some link copying/pasting (using the RCE).  However, links made that way won't work in Canvas mobile apps.

My ideal implementation would add Files folders as a form of "Course Links" in the new RCE, along with folder-link support for Canvas Student, Teacher, and Parent apps.

cmeyer42
Community Explorer

Yes, please make this an available tool with a folder link - 2 modes!

1. On a page, through Course Links on RCE

2. Direct link in Module

I have found information about how you should just post the file in a page. However, the problem is that it's harder to update that document (if needed for whatever reason) and it take multiple steps to get the same material to the student. 

For example, it would be great for my synchronous course to provide students access to a folder for copies of my powerpoint slides. I don't need to create whole new pages for the documents, I just want the to have access if they need.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.