List students in the 'Moderate' page of the Quizzes feature in alphabetical order (by last name)

0 Likes
(3)

It makes it incredibly hard to find all the students that I have to accommodate quizzes for when they are not listed alphabetically. Clearly your software CAN list students alphabetically, since it does on the 'Grades' tab  so why not everywhere? This makes no sense.

12 Comments
Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@freesailing 

I do not know why you are seeing the moderate page that way.  I looked at mine, and the students are last name, first name and in alphabetical order.  

So it sounds like a setting of some sort on your side and not an issue with Canvas.

freesailing
Community Member

I asked Canvas support how to adjust it and they said the order of list of students was not adjustable. I've clicked on everything there is to click on in Quizzes and it's still not alphabetical. So perhaps it is changeable but I'm unable to figure out how and Canvas support has no instructions on how to do it.

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@freesailing 

Well that is interesting that support did not come back and say "What do you mean?  The names should be alphabetical".  The answer they supplied does not make sense if you are reporting a listing of students that is not alphabetical. 

Just out of curiosity, I am using classic quizzes.  Are you using New Quizzes?

freesailing
Community Member

Yes, this is in the 'new Quizzes' version.

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

I just checked New Quizzes.  it lists the students as firstname, lastname and alphabetical on last name.

So I see your point now.  they need to change the name display to the classic quiz method.

Or maybe James will solve the problem for us and create a script that does it.

Ron

Ron_Bowman
Community Champion

@freesailing 

I just noticed something else with moderate quiz on new quizzes.  I just discovered on classic quizzes that you can click a box to the left of the student names to select multiple students and then there is a link at the bottom of the page to moderate the quiz the same way for all the selected students.  That is not available on New Quizzes.  Sounds like they need to make a New New quizzes.

ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

ctitmus
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

KBThornton
Community Explorer

I'm finding that the order of students is random and changes "at will". Somedays the moderate list of New Quizzes is alphabetical by last name, while other days it seems like the students who took the quiz most recently are at the top. If the default order was just set to be alphabetical, it would be nice...I don't really need a fancy "sort" button or anything. 

LindaHemauer
Community Member

I agree, this would be lovely if the kids were listed alphabetically by surname, first name. 

MarshaBishop
Community Novice

I just gave a quiz today and my first class list was not alphabetical, but my second class results were alphabetical.  Makes no sense and I cannot figure out a way to change that either.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.