.MKV Video Format Acceptance

(1)

We're finding that Canvas doesn't accept .mkv video files as a media type for submission. Speedgrader refuses to play these files. Our Lenovo Chromeooks default record with the .mkv file format when recording video -- separately from using the online recorder in Canvas, -- meaning that students must use a converter to submit recorded video in Canvas. Additionally, many popular applications, including TikTok, use .mkv files, so adding this option will provide greater accessibility for students to submit their work in Canvas. 

We would like to see .mkv formatted videos accepted in Canvas. 

5 Comments
caerfalias
Community Explorer

The fact that .mkv is the default on chromebooks makes this feature an ESSENTIAL for development for canvas. I teach recently arrived ESL students and we are emphasizing speaking skills during distance learning. I have created "discussions" with each student where the task is to send videos back and forth for more "asynchronous" speaking time. I have some students with unreliable internet, and some using the cellular network hotspots provided by our district. IT says that this may be causing my students to be unable to record using the online embedded canvas tool (relies on internet), so I had the student record a video on their chromebook and upload it... only to discover it is one of the only video formats canvas cannot process! Why?? The world of tech is already so difficult for my students to navigate - these kind of barriers feel like a cruel joke.

celiasandbloom
Community Member

So, how do we solve this problem? I have a whole bunch of recordings to grade, and several of them are mkv files. What is the solution?

celiasandbloom
Community Member

yes, please. How did you solve this problem?

Mikee
Community Participant

Container formats aren't revolutionary, the widely supported ones should be knowable:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_video_container_formats

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.