Make Attendance Visible to Students

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

I would like for the attendance to be visible to the students in their grades. If students are being graded on attendance, I believe it is important that we as instructors are able to effectively communicate this to the students.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-09-17)

This feature release has been delayed and will not be available in production on September 17. An updated release date will be made available soon.

47 Comments
khudgins
Community Novice

A huge up-vote for this!! My students may miss a set number of classes per semester, and after that, they fail!  All I need is a column in the gradebook that lists the total number of absences so far.  Much clearer than the percentage for me and the students! And if Canvas could notify them when they are down to one remaining absence, that would be wonderful!

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This feature has been added to the beta environment; for more details, please see Canvas Beta Release Notes (2016-09-06)​.

Please note that to view this feature for students in beta, your beta environment's Attendance LTI tool must be directed to the Attendance beta LTI URL. For most institutions already using the Attendance tool, this setup should already be configured for you. Additionally, attendance data only displays for a student after you initially update attendance in the course.

Thanks,

Erin

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-09-17)

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This feature release has been delayed and will not be available in production on September 17. An updated release date will be made available soon.

jbrady2
Community Champion

This makes me sad. Smiley Sad  I had just contacted an instructor yesterday about the feature as it is one that she has been hoping for ever since our institution switched to Canvas. Oh well, thanks for letting us know.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Luckily it's only a delay!  Hopefully a short one!  I'm excited for your excitement!!!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @judyk  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @molly ​,  @LesleyCryderman ​, hmcnally​, pattersj​, mbmattes​,  @dianepbh ​,  @kona ​,  @kerry_gonzales ​, jherron​,  @schnipker ​, Deactivated user​,  @Beth_Young ​,  @dhulsey ​,  @JACOBSEN_C ​,  @jbrady2 ​,  @c_larson ​,  @ahampto2 ​,  @sskripak ​, tina.tom​, schmidt.442​,  @mbs12 ​, &  @khudgins  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of the Canvas! Smiley Happy

jfiebig
Community Novice

I agree with Megan where she states..."My colleagues and I consider this an urgent need."  Please, please, please work on this item now.  I can't keep up with all my students wanting to know exact attendance data.  I would like Canvas to allow students to see a quick tally of their total absences/tardies.  For example, if roll was taken for 10 days, the student would see that they missed class twice (provide dates when missing) and how many tardies (dates).  This quick data would also be valuable for instructors.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@jfiebig ​

Have you looked at the Canvas Production Release Notes (2016-09-17) for the most current information on this.  This feature is ready for release, it was just delayed slightly!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

In-fact, as of yesterday:

Hi, everyone,

The Attendance feature is now available in production for all regions. Please remember that attendance will not appear to students until the next time an instructor takes attendance.