cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make Color Coding Optional in Rubrics

Make Color Coding Optional in Rubrics

(2)

Rubrics have changed recently, adding color coding to the scores, with green for the highest scores and then orange and red for lower marks. I emphasize to my students that C or B is a good score, but now those who have earned a C or B have red marks on their rubrics. The color coding does not reflect my judgment of my students' achievements. Teachers should have the ability to disable color coding in rubrics, or it should be removed altogether. For more information, please see the discussion: New color coding in rubrics 

15 Comments
Community Member

I would like to add that, by playing around with the outcomes (if using them for the rubric) I can get green to appear for all grades from pass and above... however it drops out and doesn't seem to have any logic behind it. It also seems that once someone has started grading, the updates in outcomes do not flow through. 

A simply ability for us to choose if we have colours and how they present and the rubric creation level would be highly beneficial. Especially now, students are doing what they can during these difficult times. Being met with a wall of red is demoralising. 

Community Member
Status changed to: Open for Conversation

Surveyor

Color coding modules would be beneficial in P-12 education.  

Surveyor

Another vote for the ability to change this! I use Meets Target at a 4 and keep 5 for Exceeding the Target. My kids need to know that it's PERFECTLY OKAY to get 4s, and it doesn't feel good to get orange/red for just meeting the target. It feels like they failed, when they didn't!

Surveyor

Now that we are using Canvas even more to communicate with our students, it's that much more important to be clear. The color coded rubric sends my students a mixed message and it contradicts my grading standard (like many who have already commented, a red "warning" color is only needed for the lowest and maybe second to lowest rating). This, in turn, causes undue confusion and stress on students.

Please address this and, at the very least give instructors an option to opt in or out of color coded rubrics.