Make Color Coding Optional in Rubrics

(11)

Rubrics have changed recently, adding color coding to the scores, with green for the highest scores and then orange and red for lower marks. I emphasize to my students that C or B is a good score, but now those who have earned a C or B have red marks on their rubrics. The color coding does not reflect my judgment of my students' achievements. Teachers should have the ability to disable color coding in rubrics, or it should be removed altogether. For more information, please see the discussion: New color coding in rubrics 

28 Comments
mahola
Community Explorer

Hopefully Canvas can get this one on their radar soon.  Orange vs Red is not good for accessibility either.

Amarinell
Community Member

I don't see where to vote, but I am in agreement with a more nuanced color coded rubric.

AA_AdminVUB
Community Explorer

I don't understand why this hasn't been changed yet, given that this idea has been open since late 2018 and people are still replying and voting in favor of this. 

susanwalden
Community Member

Why hasn't this been fixed in 3.5 years? I endorse what all have said - the color-coding sends the absolute wrong message and the color choices are not good for accessibility!

rebecca_denham
Community Participant

Yes, please make this optional/editable! Written work is rarely given a perfect score - so students are always seeing "red"

eileen_m_field
Community Explorer

Has this colour coding in Rubrics been sorted yet? I'm trying to encourage K-12 youngsters and the "red" isn't doing me any favours??

huttonj
Community Member

I'm sharing another vote for customizable color-coding in rubrics, please. Color is an important part of how students view instructors' rubric-based feedback. Please let us avoid sending the wrong message to students about their work and progress. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.