Make Course Alert Function

0 Likes

I would like to see the Course Alert feature function to be able to send automatic emails/messages to students who haven't logged in, completed assignments, etc. Most of the other LMS' have a similar built-in tool, why doesn't Canvas? I know I can buy something separate to do this, probably. But the tool is already mostly built, why not finish it?

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@CMWilson Could you elaborate on what you mean by the "Course Alert" system? That's not a term commonly used in Canvas.

Thanks.

CMWilson
Community Explorer
Alerts (Course Settings) Allows user to configure alerts in Course Settings. Alerts are a seldom-used feature designed to send an alert to students, teachers or admins for specific triggers (e.g., no student-teacher interaction for 7 days). They are checked every day, and notifications will be sent to the student and/or the teacher until the triggering problem is resolved.

There was discussion about this feature a while ago, but no one ever could get it working - https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Question-Forum/Course-Alerts/m-p/155918#M67265
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@CMWilson Thanks for that clarification, and especially for linking to the Q&A, because I now see the Alerts permission at the admin level and realize what it signifies. "Course Alerts" is a vestige from the Nudge beta project, on which we are no longer developing. Our product team has shifted its focus to the New Analytics feature set. Please read through How do I send a message to all students based on s... - Canvas Community for more information.

CMWilson
Community Explorer

The problem is nothing automatically messages students, everything has to be done manually. New analytics is great and provides a lot of great information, but it won't automatically send out messages to students who anything without going in and manually setting it off. This is problematic.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@CMWilson I understand what you're saying, so the best course of action would be to assess what the features in New Analytics do and where you see them still lacking, and then write an idea that requests a specific enhancement. For example, we have a conversation underway at Automatic due date reminder notifications - Canvas Community

Thanks!