Make Course Menu Sticky

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-10-16) - Instructure Community

I know this was already created as an idea a couple of times already but I'd like to open it up again as a new idea. With the recent changes to the Canvas layout it might be a good idea to revisit this.

When scrolling down in a course the course menu will disappear. See screen shots. In the first one you can see that the menu is present.

192784_Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 10.06.59 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-07-20 at 10.06.59 AM.png

192797_Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 10.07.46 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-07-20 at 10.07.46 AM.png

In the second one you can see the menu is gone. This is very cumbersome especially when on the modules screen or another screen that is really long. I'd like to have the course menu be in a sticky position to the left like it was before.

Please also refer to this closely related idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5489-freeze-top-left-and-side-banners-of-canvas

60 Comments
cmh2190
Community Novice

Great plan. I was going to propose this myself.

b_lapham
Community Novice

I agree with the idea, but would like to see it collapsible, ie have it slide in/out to free up horizontal screen real estate.

SHEBENE
Community Champion

Whether it's frozen or not doesn't change the real estate, collapsing it entirely is what gives you more screen real estate. That wouldn't change.

jseichter
Community Novice

This would certainly be a time-saver! Great idea.

ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Excellent idea. I hope the same thing is done with the Content Selector. It's tough to upload an image on the fly when replying to a discussion message.

RobDitto
Community Champion

Great to see so much interest in keeping Course Navigation in view whenever possible. I wonder whether another idea, already in Product Radar stage, is basically the same:

tfarmer
Community Novice

As someone who is constantly working on multiple pages in multiple courses and therefore switching around a lot, this would be extremely helpful. Great idea!

siouxgeonz
Community Contributor

Seems like a specific solution suggestion for this very slightly more general request (doesn't say exactly how to make it "sticky.")   I hope the almost triple number of votes (esp. if they're not duplicates) at least makes it a bigger 'blip' on the radar  

B00060422
Community Member

I would like to also have the name and/or nickname of the course stay visible or sticky. Sometimes I'll forget in which class I'm posting, have to scroll all the way back up to check, and then find the open discussion again...

s_murphy6
Community Novice

Hello,

How did you create an idea to share? I cant find anyplace to allow me to post my idea.

TIA!

- Savanah