cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make Course Menu Sticky

Make Course Menu Sticky

(8)
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the  Canvas Release Notes (2021-10-16) - Instructure Community

I know this was already created as an idea a couple of times already but I'd like to open it up again as a new idea. With the recent changes to the Canvas layout it might be a good idea to revisit this.

When scrolling down in a course the course menu will disappear. See screen shots. In the first one you can see that the menu is present.

192784_Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 10.06.59 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-07-20 at 10.06.59 AM.png

192797_Screen Shot 2016-07-20 at 10.07.46 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-07-20 at 10.07.46 AM.png

In the second one you can see the menu is gone. This is very cumbersome especially when on the modules screen or another screen that is really long. I'd like to have the course menu be in a sticky position to the left like it was before.

Please also refer to this closely related idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5489-freeze-top-left-and-side-banners-of-canvas

58 Comments
siouxgeonz
Community Contributor

If you click on "NEW" then the next page includes on the left margin a "create an idea" link. 

aleonard
Community Participant

Hello, if anyone would like to implement this "sticky" left menu soon (before Canvas implements their own version), you can utilize the code at the following link:

Stick the left side menu in canvas (until Canvas fixes itself) · GitHub

We developed this and have been using it for a couple weeks. It has been working well for that. It covers many situations: the user resizing the window, the user collapsing the left navigation, the window height being too small, etc etc.

This can be pasted anywhere in the root account Javascript file. Be on the lookout for changes in the HTML structure, sometimes the class names of the various HTML elements (which this script depends on) change without announcement.

sweetera
Community Participant

Please make the navigation menu float or stay "sticky" to remain visible to users during vertical scrolling.  

Why it matters:

• Currently, users get lost when viewing longer Canvas Pages because the Navigation menu disappears from view. This creates weird workarounds and user frustrations.
  • Getting lost trains users to disregard readings that require scrolling. (Design best practices aside, if longer scrolling pages are possible, then navigation needs to remain possible and clear at the same time.)
    • The same problem used to happen in the gradebook sideways scrolling in courses with more assignments. You fixed it! Thanks!  This is the same type of visibility issue, just in the Course navigation menu visibility/ 
u0841272
Community Member

This has been driving me nuts since the implementation of the new layout right before fall 2016. It takes me twice as long to navigate through my courses now because I have to scroll all the way back up to get to a different page. This is especially a problem when the page I'm on is a very long assignment page / grade page. I thought I would get used to it over time, but it's now spring 2017 and I'm still constantly clicking the sidebar thinking that the other course pages would be in there somewhere. But nope. Have to scroll back up. Pleeeeeease make it sticky again.

crafte
Community Champion

Please make the content selector seen on the right when editing content 'sticky' as well. When editing pages that have a lot of content and an instructor drags the editing window to enlarge it, the content selector on the right remains at the top. This is also a problem if editing quizzes with many questions. 

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@crafte ‌, I would support this idea, and I can't say that it's ever been floated for consideration before--but it would be a completely different development project from the one under discussion. Could you submit it as a new idea?

crafte
Community Champion
sweetera
Community Participant

It is possible that those who voted this request down do not understand the issue.  

When is it ever beneficial to not see a navigation menu or to know where you are in Canvas?  Getting lost is a frequent student complaint that causes people to tune out and then log out...

The sticky menu fix is already in place in the gradebook where student names stay visible with sideways scrolling. (Remeber the nightmare Math courses when the student names disappeared from view?  Ugh.)

Let's get this done for the full course navigation menu. 

jdesiderio
Community Participant

I'm not sure why people voted this down either but I guess it doesn't really matter as it's moved into the Product Radar phase.  That's good news. Hopefully this gets done sooner, rather than later as it's a big time hassle.

Thanks for the support in getting this done. 

Joe

stevencopeland
Community Participant

This feature would be awesome!

cmvoyk
Community Member

Interesting. I say that because I want the opposite. I want more space on the screen for contain, not menus. But going to a new page or refreshing the current page opens the course menu.

By the way, I made a suggestion to have the course menu stay collapsed when collapsed while going to other pages.

sweetera
Community Participant

Understood.  Page layout and screen real estate aside, the problem of navigation becomes unworkable for userswhen a content page is long. In many cases, the "next button" is not visible and users behave as if they are just stuck.  Using the browser "back" button is a sign of poor design and it is excruciating to watch faculty or students log out of the entire course and back in simply to get out of an extra-long page. It is also unfortunate for instructional designers to have to alter/dictate entire design process workarounds when the programmed solution was already implemented correctly in the gradebook--for the same reasons.  

tandrea_owen
Community Member

Amen!!! I was just hoping to have the content selector "sticky" or "floating" in creating a question bank!! 

tandrea_owen
Community Member

Floating/sticky menu (left side) and editor (right side) would be awesome. It's pretty cumbersome to build long pages or quiz banks, etc. when you must scroll back to the top to add questions, save, etc. Thanks!! 

skaufman1
Community Participant

Very much needed.

SHEBENE
Community Champion

I'm not sure if I've already stated this or not but we've made our course nav sticky for some time with some custom JS. If you have someone at your instance that can maintain it, this will do the trick: Stick the left side menu in canvas (until Canvas fixes itself) · GitHub 

@aleonard ‌ created it for Clark County School District, he posted earlier in this thread about it. Since then it's continued to function great except for one time a Canvas update changed a class (or something, I'm not a coder) and so it broke for a moment but now it's been working to the point that I forgot it was custom.

We briefly made the right side sticky but that caused some issues occasionally and we discarded that as a viable option.

Hope this helps.

nsweeten
Community Contributor

Thanks for sharing this  @aleonard .  Our school is hesitant with custom JS but it's nice to know that a solution is possible. 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar‌ idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

nsweeten
Community Contributor

Your idea of an option to collapse the menu is actually a separate idea.    The current situation of needing course navigation to remain visible when scrolling long pages wouldn't/doesn't take up more real estate. The space is already committed. Users just don't know where they are--unless they happen to have designed the course. 

Your idea could work concurrent with a sticky menu, ie when the menu is visible it should always be visible--regardless of where the user is on the page scroll.   Voting this idea down only keeps Canvas from fixing a bug basically. 

bryan_biggers
Community Participant

At a minimum, this could be an option in Theme Editor.