Make Due Date (vs. Available Until Date) More Prominent in Assingments UI

0 Likes
(5)

When the instructor creates an assignment with dates of availability, the dates of availability appear to the left of (hence, prior to in the reading order) the due date. (see image: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bBHXyoVLLeNIgVBH5vIctrPOrV0get8w/view?usp=sharing)

This has caused some confusion in the past among students, and a few (but still a tiny minority) thought confused the due date with the available until date, and hence submitted the assignment substantially late. What's more, one of the students who made this mistake stated that he has dyslexia which according to him contributed to his confusion.

The problem doesn't occur anywhere else. The course calendar and the to-do list don't list dates of availability; they list only due dates. So, I wonder if due dates can be made more prominent in the UI under the "Assignments" tab. For instance, if the due date is in bold, that might help.

Thanks,
Burkay

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

egong
Community Novice
I have been a frequent Elms/Canvas user as a student at the University of Maryland. I wanted to provide feedback on a UI feature and request a change.

The dates displayed for assignments can be confusing (see below for reference). I often find that the ordering of information leads to mishaps in my scheduling. When I am quickly looking at my assignments, the first thing I see is the date that the assignment is available until. It should display the due date first since it has higher priority. Other students and I have had similar experience where we have submitted things late due to this misread. Can this be changed?

assignment.png

montgomery1
Community Participant

Yes, I agree. Please reverse the order of the available and due dates with the "Due Date" as the first date one reads, followed by the "Available Until" date. This has caused confusion for my students. I now discuss this on the first day of each of my courses, but it would so much easier if the Due Date appeared first.

lettgo583
Community Participant

Several of our faculty are asking that the Due Date be more prominent than the Available Until date. Having them look the same, is causing students to be confused ... many think that the Available Until date is actually the Due Date.  

We don't want to delete the Available Until date since that is wonderful to have on an assignment  -- so that the Due Date doesn't have to be changed when students need to submit late. 

Thank you! 

ColeRobison
Community Novice

Entirely remove the "Available Until" date from the assignment view. It's unnecessary. 

Students do not schedule their time around when assignments are available until. They schedule their time around when they are due. Including both dates just complicated the page and leads to confusion.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.