[Calendar] Make Event Default Time 11:59pm rather than 12:00am

Right now.....

• An event on the calendar has a default time of 12am on the date of the event.
  • An assignment has a default time of 11:59pm on the date the assignment is due.

This causes an inconsistent user experience when viewing Coming Up in the side bar.

If an assignment is due on May 8th it will show as Coming Up in the side bar until 11:59pm on May 8th.

If an event occurs on May 8th it will not show as Coming Up in the side bar after 12:00 am on May 8th.

Therefore, if a student logs in to Canvas the morning of May 8th, Coming Up in the side bar will list the Assignment due today but the Event occurring today will not be displayed.

30 Comments
kroeninm
Community Champion

I hadn't tested this out before, so I'm glad you mentioned it  @jlg65 ​.  Now I'm not sure I'm adding my events with the right times!  I tend to leave the default which may be problematic as you mention...  I'd love to see time/date consistent with the same type of pickers as are in the assignment setup.  Inconsistency can be difficult for me Smiley Happy 

- Melanie

jlg65
Community Participant

@kroeninm I happened across the issue when investigating the benefit of using events vs ungraded assignment. I finally figured it out when the events were not displaying in Coming Up on the day I indicated they were due.  I completely agree that consistency across the product is important!!

Warm regards,

Jenn

canvas_admin
Community Champion

I'm glad to see this revived as my feature idea has been archived: 

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. March 2, 2016 - Wed. June 1, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

jordan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

A similar, yet more flexible idea has been added, here: " style="color: #2989c5; - which is suggesting that an institution might have the ability to set a default time instead of having Instructure/Canvas determine what the default time should be.

jlg65
Community Participant

Thanks!!

tsowers
Community Explorer

yes, yes, a thousand times yes.  I fight this default time issue with faculty all the time.

biray
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

185656_pastedImage_6.pngWe appreciate you, and the submission of your idea. Your dialogue helps our product teams prioritize feature development. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially, yes. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. Feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and influence product direction.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is one of the lucky ones that was selected to get a little more time for voting as part of our evolution of the feature idea process.   It was selected because of it's vote count and/or comment thread.  

*Selection criteria: Most (not all) ideas that received 70+ votes in their initial voting round.

siouxgeonz
Community Contributor

Design inconsistency is a bad thing!   I hope we can get this over the threshold.   (I'm wondering whether those votes down were the 'bug that makes an up vote go down,' too.