Make Hide Student Names in SpeedGrader More Anonymous

0 Likes
(3)

The issue: I voluntarily choose to grade my students' work anonymously. However, I need to quickly unblind from time to time to determine how I might moderate my comments. For example, if I suspect I am reading the work of an English language learner, I want to confirm before crafting or submitting my comments. For the ease of switching between blind and unblind grading, I use the "Hide student names in SpeedGrader" setting. Unfortunately, this feature assigns the students a number based off alphabetical order and that number stays with them no matter how I sort the students in that assignment. Overtime, I learn to associate student "John Doe" with "Student 3." Consequently, the "Hide student names in SpeedGrader" feature doesn't effectively hide their names.

The solution: Make the "Hide student names in SpeedGrader" feature function the way anonymous grading does, where it randomizes the student numbers in SpeedGrader.

3 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

WendyTrenthem
Community Member

This would be useful for instructors at our college.  Thanks!

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.