Make instructor more prominent in discussion forums

0 Likes
(3)

Other than me signing my discussion forum posts as "Dr. Malcolm", some students don't recognize me as the instructor in my online course. This is not all students but in online courses, some students minimally interact with their instructor and some don't pay a lot of attention to weekly video notes or other attempts to connect with them. It would be nice if there was something obvious that would signal to students that their instructor is interacting with them in discussion forum posts. Additionally, in a longer discussion post thread, it might be helpful for students to be able to zero in on the instructor feedback rather than it being lost in a sea of posts. In other discussion forum apps, it is much easier to identify instructor posts.

We should be mindful as a community that sometimes graduate students are TAs in lab courses so we should avoid suggestions of making Dr. or Prof the main identifier. Perhaps a different color box around our posts or a circle that says INSTRUCTOR around our profile image? This would be quite helpful as participating in discussion threads is different than leaving comments when grading. 

2 Comments
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived