Make "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses" Setting Do What It Says (or Say What It Does)

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas
Right now, we have the option to "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses," but that's not exactly what the setting does. I would like either for this setting to do what it says or for the label to be more accurate.

55079_let students see 2.JPGlet students see 2.JPG

This setting doesn't let students see just their responses, it lets them see how their responses have been scored (see comment below). A more accurate label might be "Let Students See Their Graded Quiz Responses."  I was confused by this label originally and only learned the hard way what it does, and I believe others have been in this same situation.

Because this setting currently shows not just the students' responses, but also whether the responses are correct or not, students who see their own quiz results also learn the correct answer in these situations:

• when the question is true/false
  • when the student has correctly answered a question
  • when the general comments hint at or explain the correct answer

And for multiple choice and matching questions they have at least narrowed down the options. That's too much information to release to a class while the quiz is still available. Therefore, when I create a quiz, I don't check "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses." However, after I have finished grading the quiz, with this setting they can't see any comments on their graded questions, so I then need to return to the quiz settings and allow students to view their responses. Having to return to the settings screen is a huge pain in the neck and sometimes I forget to do it. When I forget to do it, students can't see the comments that I painstakingly enter on their quizzes, and then they (and I) get frustrated. And when the quiz is imported to a new course next semester, I have to remember to go back and change this setting again.

This problem was discussed in the old feature request forum Show Student Responses without Indicating if the Answer is Correct or Not : Help Center . (That idea was marked "done," but as far as I can determine, it is not done. I believe someone from Instructure confused this idea with something else.) Here is the suggestion from that forum, which includes a very good use case:

55080_old feature request.JPGold feature request.JPG

There are several related ideas currently open for voting right now, but none of them are the same.

Quiz Essays: Hold "General Answer Comment" Until Due Date or After Grading This idea would suppress the general comment but not the correct/incorrect flag on automatically graded questions.

Quiz Review: option to allow students to see their quiz responses & correct answers only after the d...  This is a different way to solve my use case and the original use case by Raechel Soicher, but it doesn't solve the problem of the misleading setting label.

Option to allow students to view questions after Quiz Due Date for limited time  This is a different way to solve the problem, but it doesn't address the misleading setting label. Also, for my purposes, it doesn't matter if the students can see the whole question. I just don't want them to see how their answers have been scored.

Release answers button for quizzes   This idea (I think) would solve the problem of having to change the quiz settings after a quiz is graded, but it doesn't address the use case posted to the old feature request forum.

My preference would be for the setting label to do what it says, but if that's not possible, please change the label to say what it does.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the:

45 Comments
tsawicki
Community Novice

I like the release answers button solution the best.  Pressing this button should result in a default period the answers are shown of let's say 5 days with a one button confirmation (two quick button clicks and answers are released), but there should also be a second button or option to set a new default time or to specify the dates over which the answer will be visible.

kent_ratajeski
Community Member

The beginning of another semester has arrived and brought a new round of thinking about this problem.  I now think this problem DOES NOT EXIST!  I just did the following test...I took a quiz IN STUDENT VIEW with this box about showing students their answers UNCHECKED and IT WORKED FINE: no questions (or incorrect answers) showed up!  Yeah!  Now if you PREVIEW the quiz (take it as an instructor), the answers and incorrect questions are revealed.  This has been very confusing for me and no doubt other instructors for the past few years.  Its on Canvas to fix this problem now (to make the preview behave more like taking the quiz in Student View, or at least explain how the feedback on these is different), but it looks like the bigger issue is not an issue.  Others may want to do the test I described to convince themselves of that though.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-01-16)

Want to discuss the latest beta release in a synchronous group chat?  RSVP to Kristin Lundstrum's Beta Release (2017-01-16) Collaborative Chat, Wednesday, July 18.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-28) 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @Beth_Young  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @lshnayde ,  @RobDitto , cdoherty,  @kfortin , stefaniesanders, mjohnston,  @kona , beth.mitchell,  @kent_ratajeski , &  @tsawicki  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! Smiley Happy

mjohnston
Community Novice

Can you clarify,  @Renee_Carney ‌, because I don't think Canvas did what this forum was asking? I know that I read that when checking the box "Let students see their response", we wanted students to see their responses without having them graded. Now, you didn't change the process, only the reworded the option. Now the option states  "Let students see their response (Incorrect Questions will Be Marked in Student Feedback)" which is what Canvas has been doing all along but I know the people in this forum didn't want that.

The people in this forum wanted students to see their responses on the quizzes without having the questions annotated. Is that what Canvas is doing?

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

mjohnston

Thank you for your question!  I wish I could say that we updated the function of this feature, but we did not.  In the original request, the ask was, Make "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses" Setting Do What It Says (or Say What It Does).  At this point, the feature clarifies what it does - per the update left by Jason Sparks, here.

While our engineers are eyeballs deep in the ‌ project, we're not making large functionality changes to the existing quizzing tool.  The compromise was to clarify how the existing feature works, and we'll work on the change in functionality in the Modern Quizzing Engine.

mjohnston
Community Novice

Thank you  @reneeedwards ‌ for your timely response and clarification! 

erinhmcmillan
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi, Beth,

We've clarified what mute does in How do I mute or unmute an assignment in the Gradebook? We are happy to make updates in the guides where necessary, so please leave a comment directly in the guide lesson and we can resolve it much more quickly. Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Erin

kimberly_smith1
Community Participant

Hello All,

Perhaps I am misunderstanding the conversation, as I have not had trouble with letting students seeing which answers the missed on a "Multiple Choice" type quiz without their being able to see what the correct answer is. My students see: 

246767_pastedImage_5.png

If I want them to see the correct answers only after the quiz deadline passes, I just set the dates allowing that that date. In the next semester, since I have to reset the quiz deadlines anyway, I reset those dates at the same time.

HOWEVER, an issue that I do have is associated with the "Matching" type questions option. For example, I have a quiz question for which students must match letters on a labeled diagram to its correct term. I would like students to see what they got wrong in the matching without also showing them the correci answer. When I select "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses (Incorrect Questions Will Be Marked in Student Feedback)", then students see this:

246764_pastedImage_2.png

Answer for B is wrong, but there is no option that I can find which will indicate to students which one(s) they missed without also telling them the correct answer. 

If I select the "Let Students See Their Quiz Responses (Incorrect Questions Will Be Marked in Student Feedback)" + Let Students See The Correct Answers, then students see this: 

246766_pastedImage_4.png

Does anyone have a work around for the "Matching" type questions?

Thank you!