cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make the "Account-level settings - manage" permission more granular

Make the "Account-level settings - manage" permission more granular

0 Kudos
(3)

We have been conducting security reviews of user roles in Canvas and want to redesign the roles to allow the minimum access necessary for individuals to still be able to complete their work.

We have repeatedly struck an issue with the "Account-level settings - manage" permission, where many roles need access to the subaccounts. Some needing read only access and others manage access. But this course grained permission also enables some of the most critical features in Canvas: Authentication, Theme Editor, Account Settings and Terms. 

In order to give sub-account access and withhold access to the other features we are proposing a Javascript Theme filter that hides and inactivates the more powerful screen controls. This workaround is a last resort for us and will only keep users from making mistakes in the UI. It can still be bypassed by a malicious party and must also be maintained over time to avoid accidental exposure. 

We need Canvas to implement more granular permissions for "Account-level settings - manage" to break it down for safer delegation. At a minimum, we would like sub-account access to be removed from this role. Does Canvas have any plans to do this?

5 Comments
david_heath
Community Member

yes! this is definitely much needed

Maeve_McCooey
Community Contributor

Yes, linked to this, it would also be great if the Canvas data portal link could be removed for those that do not have access to the portal due to its all or nothing nature. Socially distanced fist bump for this idea 🤜🤛!

Naomi
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open for Conversation

dgioia3stlcc
Community Member

We would also like to see this.  Particularly the terms management.  We would like to configure our SIS integration to be able to create terms without giving it full admin access to everything. 

kirsten_ryall
Community Participant

200% support for this. Having to resort to custom solutions is never ideal. In my role, I'd be comfortable with 'view only' of sub-accounts. I do not want access to authentication, theme editor, terms etc. These are managed by other teams at my institution, and I'd prefer not to have access to them at all. The impact of someone accidentally altering terms, themes or our auth system without proper knowledge and experience, is very worrisome indeed.