Make unpublished assignments visually distinct on Calendar

(2)

As far as I can tell, there is no way to see, on the instructor's view of a calendar, whether an assignment is published or unpublished. Whether with an icon or an overlay, unpublished assignments should look different from published ones, in case we accidentally click on "save" instead of "save and publish".

Alternatively, as has been suggested elsewhere, we should be able to choose to hide all unpublished assignments.

5 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @wardn1 ‌, thanks for sharing this idea; it's open for voting. The second idea referenced in the idea description is currently active at https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/16587-toggle-unpublished-assignments-in-calendar 

kelbrooks
Community Member

Agreed! Distinguishing unpublished assignments in the calendar would be incredibly helpful. Eliminating the step of needing to go into Student View would streamline the process and help avoid confusion. Please add this feature!

kgo
Community Member

I appreciate being able to see all assignments in the CAlendar as I plan (and modify) my course. But it would be great if there was some differentiation between published and unpublished assignments. Since each course has a separate color, perhaps the unpublished assignments could be shaded grey inside the cell.

A mockup is included below. In this example, the last two days of assignments are unpublished to the students, but can be seen by the instructor on the calendar for planning purposes. This would likely minimize the times when an instructor thinks they have posted assignments, but the students are unaware.

unpublished.png 

nmogul
Community Explorer

AGREE!! I was searching for a way to hide unpublished events from my calendar when I found this thread. As usual, the Canvas Community is suggesting ways to make this platform more useable. Canvas, can you hear us? 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.