Manually Allow Individual Students to take Quiz After Due Date

0 Likes

A recommended feature I would suggest is to allow individual students to take a quiz/exam after the due date.  I find that for students who take a quiz/exam late, I have to re-open the quiz/exam, which re-opens it for the entire class.  That is not desirable.  It is preferable if the instructor can MODERATE THE QUIZ and allow individual students to take an exam after the due date.  One could simply add a feature similar to the feature where instructors can add extra time on a quiz/exam for a student.  

🔎 This idea has been archived. While this idea isn't open for comments, it is an important part of Instructure’s idea conversations and development process. Contributions like this are valuable as Instructure prioritizes work on new or existing features.

6 Comments
Mlaferri
Community Member

You can do that under Moderate this Quiz.  Click on the pencil icon on the right hand side.  And this box will open up.Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 11.56.57 AM.png

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Moderating

Hi @SocialSci -

There are some options available for this, but if you want to see the Availability Dates listed on the Moderation page for the quiz, that would be new. Please let the Community know what you envision for this feature. Thanks!

SocialSci
Community Member

The MODERATE THE QUIZ option doesn't allow for first attempts after the due date.  There is only an extra attempt option, which I definitely do not want, and the extra time option (which is not relevant here.)

The exam/quiz was due at midnight on, say, February 28.  Two students did not take the exam.  One student reached out to me to explain her circumstances, so I allowed her to take the now-closed exam.  To re-open the exam, though, required that I change the due date of the exam/quiz.  Well, when I did this, the second student somehow found out about this and took the exam at that point, even though she did not have permission to take the exam after the due date/time.  What I want to do is to prevent other students who have not taken the exam from taking the exam when I re-open the exam for a specific student.  I don't think there is that possibility in Canvas right now.  

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @SocialSci -

With differentiated dates, there may be a way to change the dates for a single student, just not from the Moderate Quiz page.

From the assignment information page (where the due date currently is), you can add a section of availability and due date information for a single student. This works similarly to other Assignments throughout Canvas. It's helpful when you need to adjust dates for accommodations or for extended absences.

This lesson will walk you through the process: How do I assign an assignment to an individual student? 

SocialSci
Community Member

Thank you so much, Kristin!  I think this may work!  I really appreciate your help!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Of course, @SocialSci!

If you find that this location isn't enough for your workflow and you'd like to reconsider your original thread, please let the Community know by March 14.