Manually Disable Timer on Timed Quiz

0 Likes
(3)

This ideal is submitted as a means to accommodate students with disabilities. The timer indicator can be a distraction for students with disabilities because the system displays the timer while the student is taking a quiz. This distraction can affect a student's ability to successfully pass the quiz. 

I'd like to submit an idea to enhance Canvas functionality which would allow faculty to disable the timer for students (especially those with special needs) who are given additional time (under Moderate Quiz) to take a quiz.  This way a faculty member can select to disable the timer on an as needed basis.

Thank you for your consideration to this idea.

2 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@beverly_gavin 

Thanks for sharing this idea. Our product teams are no longer developing new functionality on the code base for Old (Classic) Quizzes, which is scheduled for deprecation, so I wanted to call your attention to how this is designed in New Quizzes. Students taking a New Quiz assessment can disable the timer on their own: please refer to the View Time Limit section of  How do I take an assessment in New Quizzes? 

Since this functionality exists and is controlled by the student, would your faculty consider giving their students guidance on how to disable the timer should they find it distracting?

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived