Mark a Quiz as extra credit

(27)
Some of our instructors have the need to provide extra credit via a quiz.  Students would earn specific points based on their correct answer and receive extra points based on their score but it would not increase the course or assignment group total points. I envision this as a checkbox option in Quiz creation.  [] Mark this Quiz as extra credit.  Then it would behave in the manner described above.

Here is the old thread on this.  I could not find a new version here but maybe I am missing it.

Extra Credit Quiz : Help Center

An alternative to this would be to allow questions themselves to be marked as extra credit and that would allow the flexability to have specific questions within a Quiz or the whole quizzes set of questions marked as extra credit.

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

93 Comments
gguillor
Community Explorer

Is this workaround still working? We had an instructor try this today and the grades were showing in the SpeedGrader fine.  However, only a Q was showing in the grade book for both students and instructor.  We ended up having to change the quiz back to graded quizzes and she is going to add up the extra credit at the end and create an assignment and manually add the extra credit

hduck
Community Novice

Meridian Community College was having this issue on Friday. When I went in to change the points on a quiz, it turned all the grades for that quiz in the gradebook to a “Q” icon.

Thank you,

Haley Duck

Director of eLearning

hduck@meridiancc.edu

Telephone # 601-484-8819

Meridian Community College

910 Highway 19 North

Meridian MS 39307

dcaparula
Community Novice

Hi  @hduck ​ and gguillor​,

Some of our instructors have been using this workaround for quite some time and have recently received the same "Q" results as you have. To workaround that issue of the workaround (recursive, I know), the instructor needs to click the "Update Scores" button at the bottom of the Speedgrader window for each student. Then the number will again appear in the gradebook, and will calculate as extra credit.

An extra step, but still gets the job done!

Denise

gguillor
Community Explorer

Huh,

We tried that and it marked all of the quizzes as 0 out of 0.  I'll have to test it out again.

jsparks
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hello team!

We are planning some updates to Canvas Quizzes, and my expectation is we will work to offer extra credit in some way to the quiz process. We will not likely release this in the next six months, but this is something we want to plan for in a future overhaul of the tool.  For now, we will archive this idea. Please know this is something we want to deliver.

Jason

dcaparula
Community Novice

Ours has suddenly started awarding zeroes too, rats! You can still see the actual scores in Speedgrader, so what one instructor did was manually enter those scores in the column, thereby granting the other credit. So looks like yet another additional step now. Smiley Sad

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

schutt.j

Thank you for sharing your concerns.  I can assure you that our product team takes feature ideas very seriously and works hard to implement then into a very thoughtful product roadmap.  Establishing a Quiz as extra credit is possible in Canvas, it is just not the simplified checkmark you were seeking.  Unfortunately, a checkmark that can seem so simple amounts to many hours of engineering resources that are dedicated to other high priority projects - priorities that the Community assists in identifying.  As Jason noted, this is a feature that will be explored when resources are focused for Quizzes.

Until then.  Please do reference How do I give my students extra credit?​ and we know that Kona's solution does work!  I will repeat it here for your convenience.

• Create a quiz
  • Provide point values for each question. (making the quiz worth "X" amount of points - the total number of points the extra credit should be worth.)
  • Publish the quiz and have the students take it.
  • Once all students have taken a quiz and received a score, which is recorded in the gradebook.
  • Edit the Quiz and change the Quiz type to a Graded Survey worth "0" points. The number of points the students originally earned on the quiz will not change, the only thing you are changing is the type (Quiz to Survey) and the number of points possible (X points to 0 points)
  • The student will then receive whatever extra credit value they earned from the quiz.

IMPORTANT: When copying the course it will copy it as a survey - so be sure to Edit and revert it back to a graded quiz for the next semester!!

dcaparula
Community Novice

I think what Jason's comment shows is how consistently Instructure responds to requests in the Community and how transparent they are about their process for developing and implementing changes. That level of transparency and service is pretty rare "in America," and I think they should get a big Panda shout out for it!

panda.jpg

dspiel
Community Participant

As well as being able to make ANY assignment at extra credit by using a checkmark so students can see what possible points are possible, bit would be nice to have ANY quiz to be marked as extra credit in whole or have the possibility of tagging any question that is within a quiz as an extra credit item.  Often teachers like to give one extra credit question at the end..

bethany
Community Novice

Definitely needed! The work around I was told about when I first encountered the need for this is below in case it helps between now and when Canvas enables us to simply check items and/or quizzes as extra credit.

Bethany

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Making Quiz Extra Credit.

The issue this feature request is referring to is that if students take a quiz in Canvas where the entire quiz should be counted as extra credit it is not easy. The following directions explain how the steps needed to make it happen:

Create a quiz

Provide point values for each question. (making the quiz worth "X" amount of points - the total number of points the extra credit should be worth.)

Publish the quiz and have the students take it.

Once all students have taken a quiz and received a score, which is recorded in the gradebook.

Edit the Quiz and change the Quiz type to a Graded Survey worth "0" points. The number of points the students originally earned on the quiz will not change, the only thing you are changing is the type (Quiz to Survey) and the number of points possible (X points to 0 points)

The student will then receive whatever extra credit value they earned from the quiz.

IMPORTANT: When copying the course it will copy it as a survey - so be sure to Edit and revert it back to a graded quiz for the next semester!!

cohenf
Community Participant

Just adding my 2 cents, as up/down voting is now closed. This is, to me, essential and basic functionality. To create rewarded zero-denominator assignments is, at best, an optimal workaround, but should not be the final stage of development on this. I am impressed with Canvas, our new LMS here, but our old one, inferior for sure, had a clickable "extra credit" option for individual questions and for whole quizzes/assignments. It was just so easy. Extra-credit questions and assignments are common practice. For me, they are a distinct set of incentives for certain types of academic work. 

jdr0042
Community Novice

Hi..

I just tried this workaround for extra credit quizzes and it is no longer working. It was working last semester and now it is not.

Instead of the extra credit points accumulated from the 5 questions, I'm showing a "black-Q" in my grade book after I switch the quiz to a graded survey. The "black-Q" is then not calculating any score. AND if I go to the survey and ask Canvas to update the score, it turns the score to 0 (even if the quiz is  graded showing 6pts). To fix this 0 score,  I  have to go back to the gradebook and replace the "black-Q" with 6pts manually.

However, if I try to avoid the "open the survey and update the score turning it to 0 part", and go directly to change the "black-Q" in the gradebook, it will not let me.

This is clearly not what I want. Who wants to reopen every single quiz only to have to readjust it again in the gradebook.

Any suggestions?

Joy

bethany
Community Novice

Yep, I too recently found that the work around I used to use does not work. Your description of what happens is perfect.

It’s very long overdue so I hope Canvas folks hop to it and give us the ability to count whole quizzes as extra credit. It’s a simple check box in other LMS’s. Would also be neat to be able to count some items within a quiz as extra credit.

Right now what I had to do was give the quiz; create a new blank column that would be an assignment worth zero points; download the grade book; copy-paste the scores into the new column; upload the spreadsheet-gradebook; then mute the quiz so it would not be part of the total points.

Really looking forward to no more strange work arounds.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

I've contact Canvas Support to see if there's anything else that can be done about this issue. Smiley Sad

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

As an FYI, the work around for doing an extra credit quiz - Creating an Extra Credit Quiz - no longer works. Smiley Sad

I contacted Canvas Support and this was their response:

I am sorry that you are having troubles with the grade book giving you Q's where the grades should be. The reason that this is happening is you have altered the quiz. Due to the changes made our system would like you to regrade the quiz. The reason for this is if you were to make changes to a Quiz and forget to edit a students Submission they would be stuck with the aftermath. I am sorry, at this time to inform you that there is no easier way than using SpeedGrader to scroll to the bottom and update each students grade for the course.

My current hope is that a real fix for this is coming from Canvas Studio: Modern Quizzing Engine

schutt_j
Community Novice

Yup. Nope. It doesn't work. Nope. The Canvas designers programmers don't care. This is an easy fix and could/should have already been implemented.

schutt_j
Community Novice

Oh, isn't Instructure just warm and fuzzy? In the meantime, we instructors can't use it.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in Product Radar Learn more about this stage...

cohenf
Community Participant

"Extra credit" is an option that should be available for all graded work, not just quizzes (but discussions, non-quiz submissions too). What's the progress on this front from the development team? Thanks, in advance, for a response.

schutt_j
Community Novice

Yup. It would be nice to have this.