Mark a Quiz as extra credit

(27)
Some of our instructors have the need to provide extra credit via a quiz.  Students would earn specific points based on their correct answer and receive extra points based on their score but it would not increase the course or assignment group total points. I envision this as a checkbox option in Quiz creation.  [] Mark this Quiz as extra credit.  Then it would behave in the manner described above.

Here is the old thread on this.  I could not find a new version here but maybe I am missing it.

Extra Credit Quiz : Help Center

An alternative to this would be to allow questions themselves to be marked as extra credit and that would allow the flexability to have specific questions within a Quiz or the whole quizzes set of questions marked as extra credit.

Comments from Instructure

2022-07-12 -- After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

93 Comments
baldwinsh
Community Participant

This would be a very helpful feature!  One of my instructors has a quiz that he wants as extra credit.  I have read all of the suggestions and they are time consuming to build and will be confusing for students.  Rather than making an assignment linked to the quiz or creating a survey, how about just adding a button that we can check that says 'extra credit quiz' or 'extra credit assignment'?  Sometimes, yes, we have just one question that is extra credit or we can do workarounds, but why make things convoluted when they could be set up correctly the first time?  Less headaches for curriculum designers and instructors + less confusion for the student = win win situation and LMS satisfaction by stakeholders.

physicslabmanag
Community Participant

I was looking into it some more, and it looks like Moodle has this feature, so perhaps that might be worth migrating to. Anyone have any experience with Moodle as a LMS?

nwebster
Community Member

Make it so Instructure!

ThadWelch
Community Member

In my classes, extra credit is something students regularly ask for. In my opinion, the current Canvas system is a work around, instead of a simple click option ... "this is an extra credit assignment" so that the points don't get included in the final grade calculation. Additionally, I find it incredible that this feature does not already exist!

rruppert
Community Novice

I would use extra credit quizzes.

seberry
Community Explorer

Seven years later and Canvas still has no automated extra credit quiz functionality?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you everyone for contributing to this idea! We acknowledge that this has been a long-standing thread in the Community. Because Intructure’s product teams are no longer developing new functionality for Classic Quizzes, which is scheduled to be deprecated 2024, we are archiving this idea. We hope that you continue to participate in the Community’s Idea Process!

The resources in the New Quizzes User Group should help you get started with using New Quizzes in your courses. If you don't see the ability to enable New Quizzes in the settings area of one of your courses, please reach out to your local Canvas admin for information about its availability at your school.

seberry
Community Explorer

So is there automated grading of extra credit questions in New Quizzes?

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Open

After reviewing this long-existing idea, the Community Team has determined that this request will remain Open. While it was authored when only Classic Quizzes existed, the idea can be applied to New Quizzes as well. Ultimately, this will reduce the number of duplicated Idea requests and allow the conversation and collaboration to exist in a single space. 

baldwinsh
Community Participant

@KristinL Thank you! I think this idea would be great for New Quizzes as much as it would (have) been great for Classic Quizzes!

mfm0003
Community Participant

Greetings, all. Canvas Admin here. I'm aware of all the current ways that you can create extra credit opportunities. Unfortunately this doesn't really address quizzes at all. It would be great if there was a way to create an extra credit quiz. Creating questions worth zero points and then giving students more than zero doesn't seem to do the trick.

jr0024
Community Member

I agree it would be a nice feature to have a way to give extra credit on a quiz or test. Since there is a feature to adjust point values with Fudge Points (How do I adjust the point value for an entire quiz using fudge points in SpeedGrader?), it would be nice to have an option to somehow add extra credit.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!