Mass Create Pairing Codes

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

It would be awesome to be able to create mass pairing codes for  K12 students. We have had parents request codes but have had to create the codes one by one. A way to mass create pairing codes for our Parents would be great.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16958-canvas-release-notes-2019-07-13 .

19 Comments
ekrimmer
Community Member

While I applaud the pairing code concept, like many above, the process is cumbersome. If we could batch the pairing codes with a user account export we could then merge this into a parent email. The majority of the student do not want to provide this to their parents and claim ignorance of any knowledge of what a pairing code is. We know this is not true but I would have been the same way in high school. Much improved from last year without the pairing code!

Eric

kellyhelmstette
Community Explorer

We have are a high school, and want to ensure that the parent-observer account set up is actually a parent, and not a student seeking for it to appear as though they are a parent observer.  We would like to bulk create the codes, and then with our SIS that allows for secure document delivery to ensure correct credentials are sent to the right people and are connected with the correct students, but I am not going to masquerade individually as 960+ students to initiate the code creations as per one of Canvas' current recommendations.  The .csv bulk method suggested is quite tedious and time-consuming on our Technology Department's end to get all of that info. required together and to ensure it's linked to the correct students.  Would be great if there was an integration in place with Canvas and the popular SIS'. 

thompsli
Community Champion

I would love something that integrated will with our SIS! We use Synergy, and there's no way to easily let parents know that up-to-date grades are over in Canvas and here's a code to get them started. Even if I manually went in an emailed each parent through Synergy and included a pairing code, since the codes expire in a week, it wouldn't really  work by the time a lot of them got around to creating their accounts.

I'd love to see something like SSO currently works, but for Synergy ParentVue accounts to link with Canvas Parent accounts so they could follow a link while logged in to Synergy to see the stuff for their linked student in Canvas.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Release Notes (2019-07-13) .

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

411637 Thank You  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @tsample  Thank You ,  @kellyhelmstette  Thank You ,  @thompsli  Thank You , bogardde Thank You , 10509 Thank You ,  @ekrimmer  Thank You  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas!

eric_villacarlo
Community Member

#thank you you for this!!!

lluebe
Community Member

This no longer works, and we'd LOVE to be able to share this with our parents!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed