Message Icon in Profile

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

This idea is meant to re-open a previous idea that had been archived. (Direct message a person without having to go to the Inbox )

It would be very useful for Teachers, Students, and TAs to message people from their profile directly within Canvas, without having to navigate through the inbox function. We have had several faculty suggest this feature and our eLearning team is behind it!

Thanks for your consideration, everyone!

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-28) 

18 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Thank you for the kind words,  @ProfessorBeyrer ​!  We have a pretty special community and we love sharing exciting news!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-01-16)

Want to discuss the latest beta release in a synchronous group chat?  RSVP to Kristin Lundstrum's Beta Release (2017-01-16) Collaborative Chat, Wednesday, July 18.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-28) 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @marshall_herbst  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @buddyhall ,  @julie_magadan , irishb,  @RobDitto , &  @ProfessorBeyrer  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! Smiley Happy

imerricks
Community Participant

Hello, can anyone confirm if this function is now available to students? It's not appearing to students at our institution and we're not sure whether it's due to our settings or if it's a global restriction.

erik_lysbakken
Community Participant

Did you figure this out? 

I cannot find this feature at our institution. I got Administrator access and ive looked through pretty much every setting there is, but i cannot figure out which setting to change. 

As an admin i can send messages through the "People page" within a course by clicking a students name, then clicking the send message button. But teachers/students cannot see this button at all.

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Completed