Message Students Directly From People Tab

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. September 7, 2016 - Wed. December 7, 2016  Learn more about voting...

I would like to be able to message students from their "people" page.  This would allow me to more quickly and efficiently interact with the student in a variety of ways.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-28) 

44 Comments
kmeeusen
Community Champion

Scott, as noted in the Release Note linked by Renee, the Student Context Cards will show up in your production instance next Saturday 1/28/17. However, they are available for you to try in your Beta instance now.

I hope this helps.

KLM

swolf
Community Explorer

Thanks Kelley. I see, so it actually wasn’t deployed, it will be deployed in a week. That makes things clearer.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi Scott:

Yes, it has been deployed, but just deployed to your Beta Instance. By deploying to Beta before deploying to Production, users are able to test the product and provide important feedback to the product team before something is deployed to your production instance.  This two-step release process has proved to be very valuable in allowing bugs to be cleaned up, or even halting a move to production until things can get fixed.

If unfamiliar, you can learn more about your Beta environment here: How do I access the Canvas beta environment? 

You can also learn more about the different environments available to you under your Canvas Account here: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-1384 

I hope this helps,

KLM

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @skoogi  for submitting this idea, as well as, rachel.shane,  @kmeeusen ,  @swolf ,  @MikeM , amelidonis, iedwards,  @cfrood ,  @kschneider25 ,  @James , &  @khaley  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! Smiley Happy

swolf
Community Explorer

Yes, that makes sense, but unfortunately as an instructor I have no access to the beta environment.

Dr. Wolf

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@swolf ‌, I had instructor-only privileges at a college for many years and was always able to access the beta environment with no issues. I'm mentioning this in response to your comment so that other Community members who come across this are aware that teachers (and even students) do indeed have access to the beta and test environments. The local admins might have restricted the availability of the beta environment for your specific institution.

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Hi Scott:

You may, but you just might not know it. It's been a long time, but I believe your admins would have to request that your access be turned off by their CSM

Your URL would look like this (depending on how it's configured): https://schoolname.beta.instructure.com. Try it. If you do have access your login credentials would be the same as for your production instance.

KLM

swolf
Community Explorer

That url actually worked! The last url I tried listed in the general beta section did not allow me in. Thanks!

Scott

Scott Wolf, DMA

Oxnard College - Professor of Music

kmeeusen
Community Champion

Woo hoo!

Glad it worked for you Scott!

KLM

swolf
Community Explorer

Hi Kelley, was it delayed? It’s past 1-28 and no change when I click a student’s name?

Scott