Message Students From Grades

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. July 6, 2016 - Wed. October 5, 2016  Learn more about voting...

I would like to resurrect this idea started by Joe Russo and Tamara, and supported by 19 teachers. Having the ability to email each student from the grades area in Canvas allows an instructor to quickly and efficiently email a select group that may be behind on assignments, missing dues dates, or otherwise need attention.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-28) 

22 Comments
sadenniston
Community Contributor

Allow the option to email instead of Conversations. A simple checkbox next to the names and details in "People" within a course, which then opens the default email program, would be very easy to implement.

None of my staff have said anything positive about Conversations. Specifically their complaints are a) confusion on how the system works, with multiple channels and devices giving different experiences, b) having to manage two Inboxes - Conversations and internal email (student complaints are the same), c) it's not as functional as email.

My trying to defend the system with the "streamlined messaging system" argument doesn't cut it. All would be resolved if there were a simple way to email from a predefined list in a Canvas course.

glenaz
Community Novice

Adding the ability to send the individual's grade view would be ideal! I could use this to send periodic updates to the student on what assignments they are missing and give feedback on how they are doing in the course.  If this could be incorporated with the comments associated with the student, that would be great as well.  I could see simply adding an "email student" button next to the "Print Grades" to simplify everything.  Now, I have to print to a PDF and send that along separately to the student, and nothing gets captured in the grade book.

206546_pastedImage_0.png

ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

It would be great as well if attachments could be added to the messages. Currently the "Message students who..." function does not allow for an attachment.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in development

Please take a look at Canvas Studio: Student Insight Drawer

This project addresses this idea not specifically in Grades, but throughout Canvas as a whole!!!!!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-01-16)

Want to discuss the latest beta release in a synchronous group chat?  RSVP to Kristin Lundstrum's Beta Release (2017-01-16) Collaborative Chat, Wednesday, July 18.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-28) 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @sallen  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @kona ,  @joeso ,  @10012475 , craigch,  @andrew_starnes , dwoodman1,  @sadenniston ,  @matthew_roberts ,  @jlmiller ,  @glenaz , &  @ProfessorBeyrer  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! Smiley Happy

jlmiller
Community Novice

Great to see this has been implemented... how do we go about using it? I have looked for this and do not see any way to do this... maybe there is an update that our University has not received yet.

Thank you. 

sallen2
Community Novice

Hi, yes, I'm having trouble accessing as well. When I log on to the beta site, I do not see the option to send messages individually from a variety of areas. So far, I've tried: grades and assignments area. Thanks, sharon

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@jlmiller ‌ &  @sallen2  

Sorry, the feature was retained in beta while our product team fixed a bug.  You can still try it out in How do I access the Canvas beta environment?‌  Their goal is to have it in production for the next release.