Message Students individually from the Gradebook

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea will be open for vote Wed. June 3, 2015 - Wed. September 2, 2015  Learn more about voting...

It would be useful to message students from the gradebook, as the gradebook is often the reason to message them. That way the instructor has the information in front of them and can immediately take action.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-28) 

12 Comments
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@russoc ​...are there more scenarios where this would be beneficial that are not already available here?  How do I send a message to my students from the Gradebook?  Would this be more of a one on one conversation between an instructor and student vs. "messaging people who..."?

russoc
Community Member

Quote from the faculty member below, I had told him about the options you describe, which he already knew about, just looking for a more efficient way to message the student.

"Here's a feature I really want in Canvas. When I'm looking at the gradebook, I want to be able to click something (maybe the student netID) that creates an immediate inbox message to students. Clicking the name gives me their grade summary, but often I want to alert a student to something and it's a pain to go to the inbox and select the course, etc and find the student."

pstrong
Community Novice

This is a very common scenario. Instructors may want to tailor their message to a failing student, or a student who didn't complete an assignment, or a student who made dramatic improvement, etc. If I'm not mistaken, this is a feature that was available in Blackboard.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

77296_pastedImage_0.png95880_pastedImage_0.png

Panda-Cat: A mythical creature that we dreamed up to catch your attention, make you laugh, and encourage you to keep reading the explanation of our archive process for Feature Ideas

Archive: An archived Feature Idea is not dead forever, but it has been taken out of stage progression.  When Community members submit feature ideas they are reviewed by the Community Team and then put to a vote by the community at large.  If the idea does not receive 100 votes within 3 months it will be archived.  Ideas that reach the 100 vote threshold within the first three months remain open for voting. Find more information about this process at How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Yes.  Some feature ideas that do not receive 100 votes are resubmitted by Community members and find more supporters as people's needs change, rising more quickly to the top.  Oftentimes archived feature ideas are evaluated in groups when we are preparing to refactor a particular tool or feature of Canvas and may still influence product direction.

sallen
Community Novice

I would like to resurrect this idea started by Joe Russo and Tamara, and supported by 19 teachers. Having the ability to email each student from the grades area in Canvas allows an instructor to quickly and efficiently email a select group that may be behind on assignments, missing dues dates, or otherwise need attention.

The link to my idea is here: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5999

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  Idea is currently in development

Please take a look at Canvas Studio: Student Insight Drawer

This project addresses this idea not specifically in Grades, but throughout Canvas as a whole!!!!!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
  This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-01-16)

Want to discuss the latest beta release in a synchronous group chat?  RSVP to Kristin Lundstrum's Beta Release (2017-01-16) Collaborative Chat, Wednesday, July 18.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-01-28) 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

ROI.png

Thank you to  @russoc  for submitting this idea, as well as,  @Chris_Hofer ,  @pstrong  &  @sallen  for your contributions. Your investment in this idea helped refine a feature which is now part of Canvas! Smiley Happy

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New