Expanded Message students who...

(7)
The message students option is great in the speedgrader. However, it would be nice to add this feature to all of the gradebook items including assignment totals, discussion totals, other groups and final grade total, especially the final grade total. It would be nice to mass-email students (BCC) who are below a certain threshold like 70% or failing courses.
We have three very similar ideas, all of which are open for voting, associated with the Message Students Who... feature, and we're grouping them here to keep the Ideas forum tidy. These are the other two:
https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1240-message-students-who-for-grade-totals
32 Comments
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@cohenf , I'm confused. I use this feature quite a bit and the Subject line that shows up when you go to "message students who" does auto-populate with the assignment name and it does show up to students. I'm an admin (who also teaches) and I just verified that the subject line that auto-populates does show up for students in their Inbox. 

Example: This is the view from one of my student's Inbox. You can see the subject line in the Inbox contains the subject line from the "Message Students Who" tool (so either the default, which is the name of the assignment or what you change it to be).

218562_MessageStudentsWho.jpg

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

How strange! Hope you get this figured out!

cohenf
Community Participant

@kona ‌, it appears we were talking about two different ways in which "Message students who" works. I am correct that "message students who" contains absolutely NO subject line for either the sender, i.e., the instructor, or the recipient, i.e., the student when the function is used directly from the QUIZ. You are correct about how it works from a GRADES COLUMN, but this is not how it works from a QUIZ. Here are screenshots of the dialog box for the function from a QUIZ and the student's view of the message. You'll see that they look fundamentally different from yours in that they contain NO subject line for either either sender or recipient. This is why must students kept asking me what I'm referring to. Eventually I learned that I had to put my own subject line inside the text. Also, I now insert a link to the quiz inside the text as well, which makes it much easier for the student to know precisely the quiz to which I refer. 

Click to enlarge this one:

220676_Message+students+who+1.jpg

220677_message+students+who+2.jpg

Thank you for your attention.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

The Radar idea stage has been removed from the Feature Idea Process.  You can read more about why in the blog post Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes.

This change will only impact the stage sort of this idea and will not change how it is voted on or how it is considered during prioritization activities.  This change will streamline the list of ideas 'open for voting', making it easier for you to see the true top voted ideas in one sort, here.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Greetings  @splauber  

Will you check out the Message Students Who section of Canvas Release: Analytics Beta (Course Grade) and let me know if this matches what you were seeking!  I know it's not out of the gradebook directly, but it sounds like it accomplishes your same goal?

glparker
Community Champion

@Renee_Carney ‌ Is this issue still meant to be open for voting?   It's more than 4 years old, I would have expected it to go to cold storage.    That said, I would like to see this functionality rolled into the New Analytics Beta package.   Message Students Who via New Analytics is better, allowing for a "Between" option, but it still doesn't let you message students based on Assignment Group Totals or the overall Total.

glparker
Community Champion

As the future looks to be New Analytics for the Message Students Who utility, I've created a new Idea there.

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/15943-message-students-who-assignment-groups-and-total 

Please consider voting that Idea up as you have done for this idea.  

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@glparker , the existing idea for that is linked in the idea description: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1240-message-students-who-for-grade-totals 

brookkr
Community Member

I see that no one has commented here in a long time, but we still don't have this feature. Does anyone have any current info on this?

kbink
Community Contributor

I just got asked this question today.  My institution has enabled New Analytics.  If you look at the interface I think you can do this!

1. In the course menu, click New Analytics
  2. Above the graph are several tabs.  Stay in the course grade tab.
  3. Just to the right of those tabs is a mail icon
  4. Click that and you can choose criteria to mail students that fit in a range for course grades.

New Analytics Mail Students Who FeatureNew Analytics Mail Students Who Feature

You can see there are three different tabs in this window.  I checked and for each of the tabs displayed in New Analytics, the Mail Students Who feature has a different window for each.  Check it out if you can!

Kalli

ellisonl15
Community Participant

The "Message students who" for the individual assignments is a great feature. Please include this also for the total column as well as the categories. I'd like to send a message to all students who, for instance, have a total of D or F. 

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!