cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Message students who...

Message students who...

The message students option is great in the speedgrader. However, it would be nice to add this feature to all of the gradebook items including assignment totals, discussion totals, other groups and final grade total, especially the final grade total. It would be nice to mass-email students (BCC) who are below a certain threshold like 70% or failing courses.
We have three very similar ideas, all of which are open for voting, associated with the Message Students Who... feature, and we're grouping them here to keep the Ideas forum tidy. These are the other two:
https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1240-message-students-who-for-grade-totals
(1)
28 Comments
Surveyor II

Hi, Shane!  I think you may have talked to kim@aspiredu.com​ about this in the past, but our Dropout Detective solution has this capability.  We can set rules that trigger automated emails or text messages to students.  The rules can include multiple variables -- for example, send a specific message to students with a grade of less than 70% in a class AND that have at least one missing assignment AND have a Dropout Detective risk index score of above 30.  Perhaps a different message goes to students that haven't logged into their course in at least 3 days.  If you are interested in knowing more, please contact me at chris@aspiredu.com or visit us at Alliance Partner - AspirEDU​.  Thank you!

Community Member

Chris, thanks for letting me know. I hope you guys are doing well and I

miss Kim!!!! Say hi to her for me! Your tool is great but for schools that

don't use it, the other option would help us lowly non-decision maker

faculty.

Shane

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 9:49 AM, chris@aspiredu.com <instructure@jiveon.com>

Surveyor II

Shane - Some of our best referrals come from faculty!  If you're comfortable doing so, just let your supervisor know about us.  I've been in touch with Joe Dunlop in your Utah offices and he's been positive that we'll be able to get together after the first of the year.  I've already let Kim know that we've corresponded.  Feel free to drop her a line at kim@aspiredu.com or connect with her through this community.  Thanks!

Community Member

Yeah...I heard they put a freeze on everything until after the first of the

year.

Shane

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 11:32 AM, chris@aspiredu.com <instructure@jiveon.com

Community Coach
Community Coach

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. November 4, 2015 - Wed. February 3, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

Community Member

Could we add to this being able to "Message students who" within a certain section of the course?  That would REALLY be helpful for our large (1500+ student) courses where I need to message certain students in a given section.

Please....please....please....

Community Member

Yes! Also to message students in a specific Group, not just Section!

*Mickey Gillmor, MN, CNM*

Frontier Nursing University

Course Faculty NM701 Women's Health Care

Co-Chair Admissions Committee

mickey.gillmor@frontier.edu

404-245-1592 (Eastern Time Zone) Text messaging OK

(Office hours M-F: 9 AM - 5 PM Eastern time zone -- an appointment is best)

It is justice, not charity, that is wanting in the world."

--*Mary Wollstonecraft, **British writer, philosopher and advocate of

women's rights*

The naked intellect is an extraordinarily inaccurate instrument."

--Madeleine L'Engle

"We have grown like the Banyan Tree...

with branches yielding shade and fruit to wide neighborhoods..."

--Mary Breckinridge

© 2015 Frontier Nursing University

On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 10:26 AM, Laura.Orsetti@frontier.edu <

Learner II

I'm am very glad to see you've got some momentum for this.  I've pushed this idea twice now and both times it just died on the vine. I think this could be such an important tool for early alerts and retention.

Learner II

This part can already be done through the notifications, unless you specifically need to filter by grade and section or grade and group.

Community Member

I want to be able to pull up one section, and within that section "Message Students Who" haven't submitted something.  We have a large, continuously open orientation course that students are in, divided up by sections according to when they come to campus.  Students in one section have different deadlines than students in another section, so "Message Students Who" haven't submitted something can't be used unless we can pull it up by section.  I don't want it going out to students who aren't up against a deadline yet.