Misleading orange dot in Speedgrader

(8)

Problem: Orange dot remains in Speedgrader even when student has not submitted an assignment.

Situation: In Gradebook view I accidentally entered a grade for the wrong student. When I realized this I deleted the grade. All then looks fine in Gradebook view. But when I go to Speedgrader, this student has an orange dot, indicating submission waiting to be graded. However there is "no submission" from that student. 

That orange dot should disappear if there was no submission made and no grade entered (or entered grade is later deleted)

Submission does not need to necessarily be made in order for a grade to be entered. That is fine. But if such a grade is then removed, Everything should go back to how it was prior to manually entering the grade. However Canvas continues to recognize that there should be a grade entered for that student after that point. That is not how it should work!

13 Comments
lgibson3
Community Explorer

We also have teachers who have this issue.  Is there a solution yet?

DianaMorris-Bau
Community Member

I, too, have noticed the orange dot where there is no file upload submission.  Most recently, for a major research essay assignment.  Is it possible that the student "uploads" nothing -- therefore triggering a "submission" -- just to make it seem as though there is a submission, then whenever the teacher gets to that student in Speed Grader and makes the discovery the student can play dumb and has "bought" more time?  This is forcing me to click quickly through dozens of assignments just to ensure that an upload is really there, which is not a time saver.

SupportUU
Community Member

I agree with the comments above. What is also confusing is that when the student goes to the assignment is has the status "Submitted" and when the wrongly entered grade is removed the status still remains "Submitted" in the assigment view for the student.

JoelTrolte
Community Novice

Hi,

As a course administrator with around 100 students/class it is very timeconsuming to see an orange dot on an assignment, but when you go to Speedgrader to check it out, there is no submission. My students have this assignment in different timeblocks, so 1/3 do the assigment week 2-6, the next 1/3 week 7-11 och the last 1/3 in week 12-16. It takes a lot of my time trying to go thru every submission trying to find the ones that actually has done a submission. 

Another aspect of this is the teachers, and all the time I spend trying to explain to them about this glitch. Their response is, why don´t you just fix it? If there is no submission, the system shouldn´t say there is, right? I agree with them, but it´s not mine to fix. So I ask of you to please try to fix this glitch as soon as possible.

Best regards

/Joel  

frehman
Community Member

is there any solution for this please ?

mcudworth
Community Member

I'm also looking for a solution to this issue. Thank you!

spastor22
Community Explorer

Hi everyone... Can we get someone to respond to this thread please?  I have a teacher reporting the same thing and would like to know if there is a fix.

JohnJohnson2
Community Member

Still waiting for a fix Canvas.  Teachers are experiencing this issue as of today's date: 8/30/2022.

mcudworth
Community Member

This is a problem for me too. I'm hoping for a solution! I am also using the Google Assignments external tool and will occasionally get students who never submitted the assignment (like I am unable to grade anything in Google Assignments and no submission has been made), and a couple will show up as an orange dot too. Very frustrating. 

dubliners099
Community Explorer

I'm having this issue, too. My home page will show that 3 students have submitted something to grade, yet when I go into the assignment, nearly everyone has an orange dot... when I click on the dot, there is no assignment. 

Like others, having to roll through each name is taking more time for me. Any fix from Canvas?

Medwards2
Community Member

Please fix this issue Canvas. It is really confusing for students and makes a secondary teacher's job even harder. Help!

treenyjo
Community Novice

I am having the orange dot with no submission problem too. This is a terrible handicap and, looking back at the date of the OP, one that should have been fixed a long time ago. HELP!

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Archived

Thank you for sharing this idea with the Instructure Community!

The Product Team reviewed all feature proposals recently, and unfortunately, this thread was identified as one that they would not be able to include in their current or future plans. While we appreciate your proposal, we also want to be transparent about the likelihood of something like this making it to production.

Thank you for collaborating, and we hope that you submit another idea in the future!