Missing Assignment Tag in Gradebook

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In other  Gradebooks, we have been able to enter an "M" is a student hadn't submitted an assignment.  It would read the grade as a zero.  This is similar the EX feature you already have in Canvas.  I know in the individual view I can changed all Ungraded homework to read as a zero but this isn't practical if I don't grade the homework the same day it is submitted.  My teachers only enter a zero if student was present and that's grade they earned.  If they are absent, etc an M is a great way to distinguish they are still allowed to turn in the assignment but still affects their overall grade if it isn't turned in.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-01-06) .

:smileyinfo: We recognize that the specifically requested "M" was not implemented.  M, like EX, is not a standard symbol globally, so the feature was intentionally designed without it. EX was already in place and the decision was made not to remove it.  We do not plan to add any additional non-standard symbols.  EX actually causes a lot of confusion and problems for our international users 😞

77 Comments
brian_t_anders
Community Contributor

Yes! I can't wait to see this live. I know a lot of people have asked for it.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

i goofed,  @brian_t_anders ‌.  We're || this close! 

Status updates, like missing, won't be released for a bit longer. 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-12-18) .

:smileyinfo: We recognize that the specifically requested "M" was not implemented.  M, like EX, is not a standard symbol globally, so the feature was intentionally designed without it.

joseph_allen
Community Champion

@Renee_Carney  we are testing the new gradebook with our teachers.  One universal piece of feedback we are getting is that they would like to have a "M" for missing assignment.  While we know you can tag something as M, it requires additional clicks to open the sidebar and is generally not as quick and easy to do them in bulk.  We hope that you reconsider adding the "M" and "L" and/or "I" (incomplete) tags as keyboard entries.   I'm not sure you will ever find global, universal agreement on the language or symbols used in a gradebook, so even a user defined approach would be best.  Thanks. 

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas 

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-01-06) .

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@joseph_allen  

This is a great feedback.  Thank you.

At this point, we will not be adding the M.  Sorry.

brian_t_anders
Community Contributor

Renee Carney wrote:

We recognize that the specifically requested "M" was not implemented.  M, like EX, is not a standard symbol globally, so the feature was intentionally designed without it.

I'm a bit confused by the statement above. Are both "M" and "EX" not a standard symbol? The last sentence suggests that Canvas does not want to design a tool that uses non-standard symbols, however, since EX is not a standard symbol and is implemented in the grade book, then why can't a symbol for a missing grade be implemented? Unless that was a typo, it appears there are other reasons why a missing tag hasn't been implemented.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

"EX" was already in place, so we didn't want to remove it.  However we do not plan to add any additional non-standard symbols.  EX actually causes a lot of confusion and problems for our international users 😞

gelaughlin
Community Novice

I especially like the idea of being able to compile a list of work a student is missing in all courses, as well as the ability to compile a list of all students missing work within a course. I am a para at a middle school and tracking down what each individual student needs to work on can certainly be a cumbersome task!!