Missing Assignment Tag in Gradebook

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

In other  Gradebooks, we have been able to enter an "M" is a student hadn't submitted an assignment.  It would read the grade as a zero.  This is similar the EX feature you already have in Canvas.  I know in the individual view I can changed all Ungraded homework to read as a zero but this isn't practical if I don't grade the homework the same day it is submitted.  My teachers only enter a zero if student was present and that's grade they earned.  If they are absent, etc an M is a great way to distinguish they are still allowed to turn in the assignment but still affects their overall grade if it isn't turned in.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2018-01-06) .

:smileyinfo: We recognize that the specifically requested "M" was not implemented.  M, like EX, is not a standard symbol globally, so the feature was intentionally designed without it. EX was already in place and the decision was made not to remove it.  We do not plan to add any additional non-standard symbols.  EX actually causes a lot of confusion and problems for our international users 😞

77 Comments
joseph_allen
Community Champion

Ok, so this idea has been out there for two years now.  We need the "M".  Please add the "M" missing code to the gradebook.  This is low hanging fruit that will make A LOT of teachers and parents happy.  It will distinguish between a truly missing assignment from those that simply aren't yet graded. 

kristyn_neubaue
Community Novice

As a special educator and case manager, this is a KEY feature that I miss from our old program!! It would save me many conversations and time with parents and students.

pershadow
Community Novice

Please add in the ability to indicate a Missing grade, perhaps even color code it so that it "pops" out at students.  There is a significant difference between a zero earned because a student did a poor job on an assignment vs a student earned zero because they didn't turn something in.

Additionally, a Cheating score should be added, another way to earn a zero that is very different from the first two.

Ideally, there should be the ability to customize or define special scores.

pershadow
Community Novice

It has been a year and a half since your comment, any update now?

estradak
Community Explorer

Since this is now "Under Consideration," how can we impress on the Powers the Be the IMPORTANCE of getting this LIVE faster?  We've already been asking for this feature for over 18 months!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@estradak , please refer to Gradebook Enhancements: Develop and Test , where development is underway. You'll see that "Late and missing flags with automatic deduction policies" is listed as a Phase I priority. I suggest you "follow" the linked space to your inbox to receive updates on the progress of the Priority: Gradebook Enhancements‌ project.

estradak
Community Explorer

Thanks!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Comments from Instructure

This idea is in development as part of Priority: Gradebook Enhancements‌ phase 1.

Some of the phase 1 features are available for testing via the Focus Group: New Gradebook‌.  If you do not have access you can request it through your local Canvas admin or CSM (customer success manager).

brian_t_anders
Community Contributor

And showing as a 0 or a hyphen could mean they submitted it and received a 0 or the teacher hasn't graded it.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-11-06) .

For additional information about the New Gradebook, please visit New Gradebook Users Group and the Canvas Release: New Gradebook document.