Moderated Grading Improvements #1

Finalized grades should be able to be released student-by-student, instead of having to be released all at once.

7 Comments
awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @sarah_jarboe . Thanks for taking the time to submit a feature idea! To be able to process submissions, we do need them to only describe a single idea, but you're welcome to submit more than one submission. You can modify this one to describe just one of them and we can move forward with processing it.

awilliams
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @sarah_jarboe . I know it's a busy time but I wanted to remind you we will need this idea submission modified before it can be moved forward for voting. Hope all is well!

sarah_jarboe
Community Novice

Done!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you,  @sarah_jarboe ! We've now opened this and the new separate idea for voting.

april_minerich
Community Novice

Comment regarding this Topic:  There is only 1 slight hesitation that I am struck by after voting "up", if the students see grades as they are completed, we should expect emails of concern.  It will be fine to continue a discussion with students after they receive their grade to answer questions about the issues in their work. However, if a grading group grows to large number for a single teacher or grader, there may be too many communication emails from students asking about their grade.  In my view, when all the grades are released together, the students are moving on to the next module and will review their feedback from the completed grade and accept it.  If grades are released student by student depending on when the teacher/grader completes the grading, this might create too much time for students to grouse about their grades. Just playing the devil's advocate...

sarah_jarboe
Community Novice

Point taken. To be clear, I don't want to take away the ability to release all grades at once. Certainly I can envision times when you want to wait to release grades: midterm and final assessments; when you know it's going to take longer than normal to get through all submissions (don't want some students with a grade talking with students who, a week later, don't have a grade) - especially in full-semester courses. It should be at the discretion of the instructor what he/she wants to do. At this point, there is no choice. 

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.