[Course Pacing] Module Completion Criteria - Mark As Done

When testing module completion requirements, I realized that 1) the same assignment listed under two different modules only shows the Mark Complete button when students navigate through the module with the completion requirement 2) student group members have to individually click the mark complete button even if the assignment is designated as a group assignment. 

We are using aggregate modules to award badges separate from the modules that organize the course by weeks. The View Item, Submit, and Score at Least module completion rules are compatible with this use case -- the "Badge Modules" auto complete as work is done in the weekly modules. However it's causing us trouble in that the Mark As Done requirement is not consistent here. I don't see a reason not to make the Mark Complete button visible whenever the item is listed in any module, and #2 would be icing on the cake.

An obvious workaround is to just use the "Submit" module completion requirement and prompt a group member to type anything into the text entry box and submit, but this is just another painful workaround to ineffective functionality. While looking at this option I also noticed that you can create a “Submit” module requirement on an assignment that has been created without the submission option… This would be user error, but it seems that Canvas should prevent this infinity loop / impossible requirement.

Added to Theme

Enable Differentiated Learning at Scale Theme Status: In Development

2 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme