Module Headings

0 Likes
(4)

It would be nice if there were module headings at the top of pages, assignments, quizzes, links, and attachments. With links and assignments, you can at least see the module title in the little breadcrumb trail at the top, but pages, assignments, and quizzes do not have an indication of the module you are in.

As students and professionals go through a course asynchronously, it's hard for them to tell which module they're in (or if that they have even moved to a new module) if they are just clicking next. An instructor could make an intro page for each module and possibly make my own heading in the rich content editor, but it would be easier and look nicer to just have the module heading at the top of each page, assignment, quiz, etc. 

I also like this suggestion about having a progress bar for modules.

8 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@KellyHong Thanks for sharing this idea, and for including the link to  Module Progress Bar. We also have a long-standing and actively monitored idea that is similar to what you've requested: would you have a look at    Accurate Breadcrumb Trail in Modules to see if it essentially captures what you've requested?

CaitlinBoyce-Br
Community Novice

Great suggestions! I would love to see these features as well. 

nicole_montgome
Community Explorer

Yes, yes please on this! I have to discourage students from using Back/Next and actively show them why--because they might jump to a new module and not know they've done it (the breadcrumb shows pages, not the module)..

Thank you!

KellyHong
Community Member

@Stef_retired Hi, Stephanie. Thank you for your response. Changing all breadcrumb trails to include the module instead of item type would definitely be beneficial, I am wondering if it will still be easy to not notice moving into a new module since the breadcrumb trail is small and if it would be more apparent which module you're in if there were some sort of Module Title heading at the top of each item within a module.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@KellyHong Thanks! We'll move this forward for discussion separately, keeping in mind that we have active conversations underway framed around the same problem statement (I'm including the links here again to maintain unification):

Accurate Breadcrumb Trail in Modules

Module Progress Bar (amended)  

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

TimJensenUSC
Community Explorer

@KellyHong @CaitlinBoyce-Br @nicole_montgome ...are you still interested in this feature?

ProductPanda
Instructure
Instructure
Status changed to: Archived
Comments from Instructure

As part of the new Ideas & Themes process, all ideas in Idea Conversations were reviewed by the Product Team. Any Idea that was associated with an identified theme was moved to the new Idea & Themes space. Any Idea that was not part of the move is being marked as Archived. This will preserve the history of the conversations while also letting Community members know that Instructure will not explore the request at this time.