[Modules] Improve "Moving Through Requirements Sequentially" Requirement Setting

Greetings!

I love modules for organizing and managing content. I always enable the module requirement "Students must move through requirements in sequential order." This setting allows students to see checkmarks on content they've already viewed so they can return to the course and pick up where they left off. It also requires that students progress through the module content in the direction I intend so that they can learn, practice, learn more, and practice some more to build their skills.

Once enabled, it's easy to assume that this setting applies to all content in the module, and that no further settings are required. Just click Update Module. But this is not the case.

Enabling this setting applies only to the first item in the module by default. My modules regularly contain ten to 15 or so different items.

I'd like to request that this feature be updated to improve usability. If enabling "Students must move through requirements in sequential order" automatically populated the entire module list with the default setting of "View the item", the faulty assumption that just clicking the enable button is enough would be eliminated. 

We'd also no longer have to tediously click the Add Requirement link to add each item from our module into the list. On smaller devices, such as laptops, this isn't always easy to do, especially when there are multiple items in the module. We already created the module content and it's listed in the module, so why not repeat that list automatically in the module Requirements list? Then if we'd like to change an individual item from "View the item" to "Submit the assignment" or other requirement as needed, it would be straightforward to do so.

Thanks for considering this!

Best wishes to all.

Added to Theme

Enable Differentiated Learning at Scale Theme Status: In Development

5 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Open

@colleen_harmon 

Thanks for sharing this idea. As you've correctly noted, enabling the sequential requirements completion rule applies only to items that have requirements associated with them, so we have moved this forward as a request to automatically set a View requirement on the items in the module when the instructor enables the sequential checkbox for that module. 

kirsten_ryall
Community Participant

Lending my support to this idea. Either it needs to be clearer at the time of the Instructor adding the requirements as to exactly what is and what is not added by default, or consider adjusting the default settings to add all and then give the Instructor the option to remove them, or change the type of requirement from 'view the item' only. I think it could do with a little work. 

KellyTodd
Community Novice

I absolutely agree! As an English teacher, I would like to easily be able to set the requirement that students cannot take a reading check until the previous one has been taken.  This helps me ensure that the students are reading and not skipping around.  It is very tedious and time consuming to have to add a requirement for EVERY reading check for each novel we read in the school year.  

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: New

KristinL
Community Team
Community Team
Status changed to: Added to Theme