[Modules] Module access to specific groups, sections or students

Idea is currently in development

It would be great if I could give Modules unique gating rules specific to individual students or groups or sections within the course, similar to how I can create unique assignment due dates for different students and sections.
108 Comments
pagibson
Community Participant

Military folks deployed; unplanned surgeries ahead; hurricanes are expected....all sorts of real world problems on the horizon calling for individuals to have access to modules prior to the rest of the class. Why can't modules (including pages and files) and not just assignments, discussions and quizzes be date restricted for individual student circumstances and not all or nothing? How many years and how many votes before this is realized?

tom_dierckx
Community Novice

so you just skip this?

gareth1
Community Novice

We have courses that start on a monthly basis and need to run these cohorts as sections in one canvas course because of storage and maintenance primarily. Being able to set timed release per section would be a perfect solution for us.

ohara
Community Novice

I was going to request this exact same thing, though for a different reason.  I would like to make a "module" of pages that the students in my course create and edit themselves--sort of like using the Pages as wikis.  But I teach two sections of a course that are integrated into one course shell; I don't want students in one section to be able to see or edit the Pages of students in the other section. I want everyone to be able to navigate to the module and then only see the Pages of students in their section.  So, the module might have a total of 40 pages in it, but students in each section would only see the 20 pages created and edited by the students in their section.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

I would be very interested to know just how many ideas there are on a similar theme. It does seem a very popular choice:

Modules personalised for individuals, groups or sections

For example here is one I submitted https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5319-hiding-and-viewing-modules-for-individual-sections?sr=sea...‌ (362 votes) and then https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/10343?sr=search&searchId=ebb1d5ff-e602-4ee4-9584-2932c1d15fbb&...‌ (14) and https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2650?sr=search&searchId=ed96e95e-a4df-487d-872a-826fd33da3fe&s... (7)

So by all accounts, over 1000 votes....!

dbernal21
Community Novice

Each student is unique and instruction and assignments must be modified to differentiate for students and group work. My vote is yes.

kathy_roberts
Community Novice

I have a training course that the only way I could figure out how to make 'Choose your own adventure' was to create a starting course with self-enroll links to sub-course that have a self-enroll link to the final wrap-up that all the different branches require. So my poor folks have now got 3 or more different courses to figure out, instead of one that I can separate and hide modules for things they don't want/need/care about. Mastery Paths are definitely overly complicated and only work - as far as I can tell - if you have a two-question 'sorting hat' quiz. That's not going to help with my 7 variations on the theme.

Pleeeeeeeeaaaassssseeee can we have this functionality, Canvas?

jfountain
Community Participant

I'm saddened to see that this idea has been pending for 5 years and now has over 700 up votes, with a few other similar ideas out there making it over 1000 votes, and no action by the developers at Instructure. CanvasCon Online 2020,  @canvassupport10  when can this happen??  It's a biggy without a workaround.

kweiss
Community Novice

Students often come into our courses with a wide range of background skills. It would be useful to have a way to make advanced content available only to some students who are not challenged enough by the existing content or who are otherwise interested in learning those skills, without overwhelming students who are not ready for that advanced material.

tblowers
Community Novice

Please, please, please let modules be individualized. I teach special education and I have 18 different groups of students I teach each day. I would have to make 18 different courses. If modules could be assigned out differently, I could use 3 courses (Writing, Reading, and Math). Only 3 courses for me to access instead of 18.