[Modules] Module access to specific groups, sections or students

Idea is currently in development

It would be great if I could give Modules unique gating rules specific to individual students or groups or sections within the course, similar to how I can create unique assignment due dates for different students and sections.
108 Comments
joel_williamso1
Community Novice

Why can't a module be sent to just one section of course, not the whole course? This is a really obvious feature that is lacking. 

rjf227
Community Participant

This is a much-needed feature to address some of our accessibility concerns and needs. We want to be able to provide content to our students (including blind students) at their point of need in a way that's not visible to the other students in the class. The lack of this functionality within Canvas compromises our ability to create an equitable learning design to meet the teaching and learning needs of students with special needs. Currently, we have to provide differentiated student content outside of the LMS to preserve anonymity, creating a scavenger hunt of sorts for the student (seeing we can't provide these materials in an organized way to individual students within the LMS). Because accessibility issues can lead to litigation, we would be incredibly relieved to see this functionality added to Canvas.

jozua
Community Explorer

I fully support this idea. 

There is another 'idea conversation' elsewhere on this part of the site called Differentiated Pages.

So I suppose we could call this one Differentiated Modules

ashok_thapa
Community Contributor

To facilitate all students we also personalise learning programs., this would be very helpful in setting within Canvas if the feature idea goes ahead.

it would be much easier to manage modules via module assignment to specific students.

AlecMackay
Community Member

We have 2 campuses sharing Canvas courses, with students divided into sections.

Let's call them Campus A and Campus B.

Currently we are only able to restrict assignments, groups and quizzes by section.

We would like to be able to restrict specific modules or items within a module to a specific campus.

Eg. Campus A has specific instructional material for hardware that Campus B does not have. Campus B has their own hardware, and similarly has their own instructional material. Students in Campus A should only be able to see materials made available to them to avoid confusion.

This could be set at a module level, or per item, using the same section restrictions as in assignments or quizzes.

fred_bonatto
Community Explorer

Hi Canvas Team, any update on this? Looks like it's been on product radar since 2016? @Renee_Carney 

jlubkinchavez
Community Contributor

Thank you, @jbuchner for the suggested workaround! Now come on Canvas, make our lives easier 🙂 

eddie_bonetdiaz
Community Explorer

This would be nice to have. I agree it definitely impedes our capability of providing equitable access. In the end I could have everything available to everyone but unique accommodations could just add too much for those students who don't need or won't use those accommodations.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

Please vote here - https://community.canvaslms.com/t5/Idea-Conversations/Hiding-and-Viewing-Modules-for-Individual-Sect...

I am hoping that the more similar ideas people vote on then the greater support this essential improvement could get from Instructure.

Nancy_Webb_CCSF
Community Champion

Can I suggest something like this for Editing Module settings? Similar to assignment settings, allowing additional assignments to individuals, groups, sections.  Currently assignments can't be made to groups, but I hope that will also change in future. Due to the fact that sections are tied to enrollments at our school, teachers can't create sections for this purpose.

Perhaps adding a second assign to by default could copy the prerequisites, requirements and lock date but allow them to be edited.

ModuleAssignment.png