[Modules] Module access to specific groups, sections or students

Idea is currently in development

It would be great if I could give Modules unique gating rules specific to individual students or groups or sections within the course, similar to how I can create unique assignment due dates for different students and sections.
108 Comments
am_jagusztyn
Community Novice

My institution would also like this for assessment content that one section will take earlier than another but we don't want the other section to see. 

susan_k_staab
Community Member

We are new to Canvas and are a bit disappointed that this feature is missing.  We use this feature in several courses where we have graduate and undergraduate students enrolled.

fiona_chinn
Community Member

I was very pleased to see that this had already been suggested - and then disappointed to realise it was suggested four years ago and is still not an option that is available to us.  We are about to move our courses to Canvas from another VLE and this would have made things much easier for us.  As the option is already there for other areas of Canvas I really can't understand why it's not been implemented within modules too.

I have looked at the mastery paths option, but it seems unnecessarily complicated and a lot of extra work for our administrators when all we want is an option, for example, to show module one only to section one and module two only to section two.

dschuma
Community Participant

https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/2541-module-access-to-specific-groups-sections-or-students?sr=...‌ would provide instructor access control on a wider variety of objects:  pages, discussions, etc.  The current use case at BGSU would permit instructors to add observers and then provide them access to specific areas of the course.  The observers in this course serve as mentors on specializations for which the entire class is responsible, but the mentor is only managing one.  The instructor wants to provide mentors access to only the materials they need and not the entire course content.

edgardrodrigues
Community Participant

@Alexandre_Sch ‌,

This idea allows us to delve deeper into the assignment of modules.

Today we have two active pedagogical disciplines that would really be very useful.

I hope this goes to the development!

tlc_OU
Community Participant

At the University of Oklahoma, we have instructors that have both undergrad and grad students in some of their courses, so being able to designate module access by group, section or student would be greatly appreciated!

kptseminary
Community Novice

This is very frustrating--particularly trying to handle make-up work for specific students without confusing other students who attended in class.

GideonWilliams
Community Champion

I would be very interested to know just how many ideas there are on a similar theme. It does seem a very popular choice:

Modules personalised for individuals, groups or sections

For example here is one I submitted https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/5319-hiding-and-viewing-modules-for-individual-sections?sr=sea...‌ (267 votes) 

queenteuila
Community Novice

Since there are different learning abilities for each student, having the capability to offer a modified assignment/module for an individual student without giving that same assignment to the entire class is ideal.

tom_dierckx
Community Novice

This is a necessary addition as this would lessen the redundancy on data.  Right now I have 3 almost identical courses (for 3 groups of students) that i have to maintain, because i can't just put all those students in one course and adjust the access to the modules... 

Frankly said, the fact that this isn't possible yet, throws the 'modules'-part of canvas back to the copier-time and Tipp-Ex