[Modules] Modules Display as Collapsed by Default

With courses that have many modules and module items, the default un-collapsed state on the modules page makes the view overwhelming. I would love the option to choose a 'current' module and have that automatically open for students or at least have the default view be auto-collapsed. The un-collapsed view is often a turn-off to faculty and designers who are considering different ways to represent their course content.

79 Comments
tfjackso
Community Explorer

I have one module running per class, with lots of links and small readings and questions for focus.  So this will become overwhelming to students if it is all open at once.  Wondering about a work around now-- break it into 15 weeks?  We have one focused case study a day as we move through all of US history for future high school teachers, so it is pretty fast paced.

cwebste3
Community Explorer

Contributing the below to this string of conversation, because I  too would like to see modules collapsed, and it was recommended I post here as well...

Right now I have 10 different modules for my students to use within CANVAS.  When they log into the Modules page, all the modules are present, which is what I want them to see, but also all the documents/powerpoints within a specific module are displayed as the default view.  I'd like to see the modules compact (i.e. closed like a Windows folder is) until the student clicks on the specific module name.  Once clicked on, THEN all the documents within that module could populate the screen.

Now the only way to accomplish that is to go in manually and click on the little arrow next to the Module name to hide its documents within the module.  The modules don't stay closed like that when I publish the page for my students to browse.  They are all open as default.

Anyway to make this happen?  Default, closed until clicked on?  Makes it a cleaner, more streamlined page for students to view.

cjw

cwebste3
Community Explorer

Some of my modules may need to be accessed at the same time, so the first module is not necessarily the "current module".  Students may need to go the modules section, then click on Module #2 for a template and Module #6 for some resources, then the following week go to Module #4 and Module #7, so I would like to see all modules closed, not necessarily having any of them open as the current one.  Thanks.  I do understand what you are saying in terms of having the most  pertinent one open - but my students will be going back and forth into different modules all term, which is why I do publish all ten of my modules to be seen at one time - so none of the modules will ever be considered THE current one. 

csalazar
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

I would love the option to have a default collapsed module view. We are planning a significant project to work on modules in early 2016, and I will see how we can address this concern with that project. We will not be making significant changes to modules before we start that project.

mtw56
Community Member

I just posted a similar idea where modules can be collapsed by default when a user clicks on the Modules page.  I like the idea of choosing a single Module as well.  This would definitely help eliminate what I call "the scroll of death"

nicobsdc
Community Novice

Hi All, I've re-submitted this idea and would love if you guys would support my request. You can access my feature request here -

nicobsdc
Community Novice

Hi  @mtw56 ​

I've also submitted a similar idea! Please can you support my idea request -

cwebste3
Community Explorer

I too requested the collapsed version of Modules last year, and was hoping

to see it had moved in some way toward the top of the list of "easy to do"

fixes. You have my support on this one.

*Cindy Webster Department of Biology Eastern Michigan University 441 Mark

Jefferson Science ComplexYpsilanti, MI 48197 *

cell: (248) 755-1805

cwebste3@emich.edu

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

Greetings!

@mtw56 ​, nicobsdc​ and  @cwebste3 ​, thank you for your recent posts on this thread.  We are still in agreement, that this is a very interesting idea.  It is one we hope to dig into at some point.  Unfortunatley, the early 2016 modules project did not occur as Cosme had hoped, and it is not planned in the near future!  Please continue to follow this document for updates when they are made available.

nicobsdc
Community Novice

Hi  @Renee_Carney ​ I have to say I'm disappointed that we haven't seen progress in this idea. We've seen evidence that this is what the community wants and it's clear that modules could do with some significant improvements. What would be useful to know is what we can do to help champion this idea forward rather than wait for progress. It's already been a year and the half and we've seen no progress.