[Modules] Modules Display as Collapsed by Default

With courses that have many modules and module items, the default un-collapsed state on the modules page makes the view overwhelming. I would love the option to choose a 'current' module and have that automatically open for students or at least have the default view be auto-collapsed. The un-collapsed view is often a turn-off to faculty and designers who are considering different ways to represent their course content.

79 Comments
jjoyner
Community Novice

I teach math and I agree 1,000% !!

rar68
Community Novice

I would love an expand all/collapse all option at the top of the modules page!!! I see Paul Chaney and others suggested this four years ago, and it's still a need worth filling. Mike Cowen offered some code last year that I'll run by my programming department to see how viable it is in our shop, but something Canvas-supported would be ideal.

venitk
Community Champion

We're currently struggling with how to encourage students to use the course view Modules rather than clicking on the assignments through the calendar or to-do dates or going to Assignments, Discussions, etc--we don't want to take these off the navbar and force students to have to go through the death scroll of Modules. Either a Collapse All or Expand All, or having them collapse by default, would be so so helpful. 

sherry_kull
Community Explorer

I agree with everyone who has posting here for FIVE YEARS!!!  It is highly inconvenient, impractical, and unnecessary to have modules that are uncollapsed 99% of the time, taking valuable time and screen space.  Canvas, what's up?  Why can't this be fixed?  

andrebg
Community Novice

PLEEEEEASE DO THIS.  It takes so long for modules to populate when course content is all open 

andrebg
Community Novice

Found this but I'm not technically literate enough to know how to use it

https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers/blog/2018/07/05/collapse-expand-modules 

kellicharris
Community Member

I would appreciate a dropdown under modules on the lefthand side. Each module title could be listed. Then if you click the module you ONLY see that module. Would really help with the amount of clicking and scrolling I am currently doing. 

gpillsbury
Community Contributor

Adding my request that this simple UI experience be improved.  Modules should be closed by default.  I'd also like to see a global "Close All | Open All" and Canvas should remember the toggle state for each user.  This seems basic to me, coming from Moodle and the Collapsed Topics format.

kcurran4
Community Member

We would love there to be:

• a collapse all / expand all option available 
  • for there to be the option to choose a 'current' module, or several 'current' modules, that should remain open and have that/those be the only one/s the students see expanded by default
  • have the default view be auto-collapsed
lwatters
Community Member

I would also love to see this feature available (Modules default to being collapsed and then users being able to choose to collapse/expand all, and for selected users being able to select the default view for particular units.

I agree with comments above - this has been raised for 5 years and would be good to see development on.