Modules Requirement bug that needs to be fixed

0 Likes

We have a Student Orientation course that we use at our institution.  There are requirements set in different modules so the students have to go through the course in a specific way. There seems to be a bug of some kind that hang the students up in the process saying that they didn't complete the requirement when they actually did.  After calling Canvas Support, we have found a work-around to correct the issue by clicking on EDIT on the module but just saving it without changes.  This work around fixes the hang-up for the student but it is very frustrating that it happens often in that course.

Can you look into why that happens and if there is a fix on your end so that it doesn't happen anymore?

6 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@michelle_powell 

Is Canvas Support still working on this on your behalf? Would you provide the case number for the support interaction?

Thanks.

michelle_powell
Community Participant
Stefanie,

I wouldn't know which case it was.  I called on behalf of our Academic Success Coach's regarding their Orientation course.  The support people gave me the work-around for it. It didn't seem to be something support would escalate. 

I explained how to correct this to all the ASCs. Now they are complaining because it happens frequently.  I told them the best I could do was to suggest it as something to be fixed if possible.

I can try to look through the case files to see which one it was. I call quite a bit.
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@michelle_powell  Please follow up with support and ask whether they've escalated this to engineering for further investigation; if that turns out to be the case, we'll archive this idea, and if not, the ticket number will help us determine the best way to proceed.

Thanks.

michelle_powell
Community Participant

This looks like the only case that shows we discussed Module requirements. #04432412

This one shows we talked about Student Orientation. #07062055

The case descriptions are not completely detailed and with the time frame between the 2 calls it is possible that they were about the same thing.

I can call support again if I need to so you have a more accurate support ticket.

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@michelle_powell 

Thanks for providing the case number. Our support supervisor has reviewed the interaction and confirms that support is the correct venue for getting this looked into further. If you're still seeing this behavior after your communication on those cases, please respond to the case with additional information and details: examples of students who have had trouble, which modules/module items didn't allow them to proceed, what the exact message was for each student or what they saw, and what day/time that happened.