[Modules] Modules need a "Lock After" Feature

I would like to suggest that Modules have a "Lock After" feature. Right now we can "Lock Until," but I like to show all modules and then I want them to disappear to the students after the due date has passed.

Added to Theme

Enable Differentiated Learning at Scale Theme Status: In Development

16 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@jonessc ​, was submitted in a recent voting period, but did not receive the vote threshold necessary to move it forward to the next stage of development. As time passes, priorities change, so perhaps your newly-submitted idea will receive more support in the next voting cycle. In the meantime, you might want to add a link for this new idea to the archived idea to help get the new idea more support.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. September 7, 2016 - Wed. December 7, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

ProfessorBeyrer
Community Coach
Community Coach

This is an essential addition to the Canvas toolkit. It's already possible to give Discussions and other tools a date range (available from a date until another date) so it seems an easy add to this other tool.

rwatkins
Community Novice

Thank you, Stefanie. This is a no-brainer. If you are using assignments online, you have to be able to do this after the due date. Otherwise, students would make up work just before the end of semester or after. Adding this feature allows the begin and end to be part of the structure of the module itself, not the responsibility of individual instructors.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

210877_pastedImage_6.pngWe appreciate you, and the submission of your idea. Your dialogue helps our product teams prioritize feature development. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially, yes. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. Feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and influence product direction.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea is one of the lucky ones that was selected to get a little more time for voting as part of our evolution of the feature idea process. It was selected because of it's vote count and/or comment thread.

*Selection criteria: Most (not all) ideas that received 70+ votes in their initial voting round.

marnie_cedillos
Community Novice

I submitted a somewhat similar idea, mine was a "check mark" so I know it was done. I wouldn't want it to disappear for reasons of reviewing. But a teacher/administrator should have that ability if they wish to do so.

degroot
Community Explorer

This is something that came up recently from some of our faculty. They have deadlines for modules or assignments and do not want students submitting homework after that deadline at all. Ideally she can set a date for the module to unpublish or lock it. Another option would be to set a due date on the assignments and make an option that prevents students from submitting after the due date. Both of these options were available to us in Blackboard so our faculty expect similar functionality and are upset to hear they have to remember to manually unpublish content on specific dates so their students don't submit content after the allowed date.

rfrench
Community Participant

Couldn't agree more! Check this out Restricting Canvas Content by Date if you're looking to attempt a creative work-around. It's not a solution but it might give you some ideas until then (thanks  @dgray !).

There are other exchanges about this here Lock a Module after a given date and here Automatically locking module after unlocking.

Both the inability to lock modules after the fact and the inability to place date/time restrictions on an individual page are "design features" that have substantially complicated my pedagogy. I've spent an inordinate amount of time trying to think through and test how to get around this lack of functionality.

I, too, am coming from teaching primarily with Blackboard as are many of the faculty at my institution. Currently, many institutions in the California Community Colleges‌ system are in the process of transitioning platforms, abandoning all other LMS/CMS platforms to go exclusively with Canvas. One would think this kind of functionality would be a no-brainer. It is simply illogical not to allow such options for those components, particularly when so many other components (Quizzes, Assignments, Discussions, etc.) already include it.

kristi_oneilgon
Community Participant

This is exactly what I need for training courses I facilitate on my campus. I love the "Lock Until" option to open material but often have a cut-off date where the material should once again be locked/unavailable for one reason or another so I would greatly appreciate having this functionality.