[Mobile - Canvas Teacher] Modules tab in Canvas Teacher app

Currently the Canvas Teacher app does not allow teachers to view, rearrange, edit, or publish their modules in a site. It would be great if, at a minimum, Teachers could view a site's modules like students can in the Student app (it is unclear why this is unavailable to staff). However, ideally the app would also let Teachers edit, rearrange, and publish their modules and the items within them.

Modules are a crucial part of Canvas. Our teaching staff use them to structure learning materials, assignments, quizzes, pages, and other information for students across the teaching period. It would be highly beneficial for them to be able to manage this remotely using their mobile devices.

Two example use cases:

1. If there is an item or module that is unpublished, and a student emails the teacher because they cannot access it, the mobile app should allow the teacher to go in and publish the materials quickly and easily (similarly, if there is something that should no longer be published to students, the teacher should be able to quickly amend this).

2. If an assignment or discussion needs to be moved from one module to another, so that it's clear to students when it needs to be completed, this should also be possible in a mobile application.

Added to Theme

29 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Thank you for submitting this idea,  @jeremy_stevens ‌. You might also be interested in https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/3271-access-to-the-student-view-on-an-ipad-or-other-tablet 

jeremy_stevens
Community Contributor

Thank you, Stefanie. I'm glad to see that is currently on the product radar. Student view on mobile devices would also be very useful for our staff, and it would complement teachers being able to view and publish modules (should either of the features be developed).

harderj
Community Novice

Since my entire curriculum is organized by modules, this is the primary feature I need from the Canvas Teacher app. At least give me the option to publish or unpublish my documents in each module.  The app is pretty much a waste of time without Modules working.

ann-haugland
Community Novice

App is not at all useful if no access to Modules.  Hard to understand how this could be left out; it's the entire content of the course.

rseilham
Community Champion

This idea isn't off the mind of the mobile team:

Check out a recent update on Canvas Mobile apps from the Mobile PM, which includes the following about modules:

Teacher app doesn’t support modules today. We’re pretty close to being able to make this happen. Modules necessarily come last in development because almost every other kind of content in Canvas can be attached to a module (i.e., modules don’t do anything without assignments and pages and quizzes and links and files also being supported). Modules are also the way that many teachers interact with their course content, so getting to an assignment through the assignments list rather than through modules feels unnatural. Our first pass at modules will definitely not be adding support for building modules or modifying the structure of modules, as much as it will be viewing modules and module items. The basis for the teacher app’s success so far is its focus on course facilitation rather than course building or course structuring, and we’ll keep that theme going in however we incorporate modules.

jeremy_stevens
Community Contributor

Hi Ryan, thank you for sharing the update! Most appreciated. I'm glad to hear this could be available for us all soon.

rseilham
Community Champion

No problem. I'm still voting as this is my number one "want" of the Canvas Teacher app. 

gulick_24
Community Participant

Yes--I agree!

eschmidt
Community Explorer

The Canvas teacher app is useless if I can't view/publish/unpublish/edit modules from the app. 

ana_mataksiviou
Community Novice

I thought it was slightly mad that you can't even view modules from the Teacher app. In fact, I thought it was a bug! So our requirements are:

1. At the very least, teachers must be able to view their modules in the app.  (The students can see them, so why not teachers?)

3. Publishing / unpublishing modules should be possible, too.