More Accurate Grade Checks for Students

0 Likes

When students check their grades, it defaults to the box being checked labeled "Calculate based only on graded assignments."  When they remove the check from the box, it shows a better idea of what their percentage grade is, based on their missing assignments as well.  What is misleading though, is that often teachers will also put in upcoming assignments with future dates, which skews the percentage downward.  Neither is an especially accurate grade for the student to view.   It would be very helpful if the program would incorporate this option to view all assignments only up to the current date when calculating percentage.  This way, all future assignments would not be bringing down their grade, and it would truly be accurate based on what was turned in (and graded).  

Thank you so much!
Sandy

7 Comments
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Moderating

@ClatskanieSandy  Would you elaborate on the effect upcoming assignments are having on students' grades? When I was teaching, all of the assignments were posted in the course on the first day of the semester, but the only assignments that affected students' grades were the ones I had already graded, which means that students could at any time see their accurate current grade in the course.

A few examples of the discrepancies, and perhaps a screenshot of how grades are calculated in the course according to assignment group settings, would help clarify the request, so please provide details.

Thanks!

ClatskanieSandy
Community Member

Hi Stefanie!  For instance, when a student has three assignments in their class, and they've only done one, but with a nice 90% score, it shows a 90% grade for the class with the box checked.  When I uncheck the box for them, it calculates the other two assignments into the percent, whether the date is passed or upcoming, dropping them into the 20% range (it all varies based on being assessments or assignments and the weights given).  I am hoping for a modification, or perhaps another check box option, that will only calculate their current grade up to today's date, whether the assignments are missing or turned in and graded.  Hope this helps!  🐵
Sandy

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

@ClatskanieSandy  "Calculate by graded assignments" is checked for students by default; when a teacher checks or unchecks "View ungraded as 0" in their own view, it impacts their own gradebook view but does not change that setting for students. In this scenario, then, the grades tab works just as you've described: you are seeing the same 90% grade as the student sees.

By "uncheck the box for them," do you mean that you are going to each individual student's device and unchecking the box yourself? 

ClatskanieSandy
Community Member

Both on their computer and my own.  When the students are logged in and checking grades, I have them uncheck the box to view more accurately where they stand.  On my computer, I am not a teacher, but an assistant.  I am an observer linked with dozens of different teachers' classes and our students.  When I unclick the box as I'm viewing a particular student's course grades, the same thing happens.   Perhaps it is different in this capacity then either a teacher or a student, but I've only noticed minor percentage differences (1 or 2%) on one occasion and thought it was due to one assignment being graded/turned in since printing their grades and later that day seeing them in person.  I will do further research into this.  Thank you!

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

You're welcome, @ClatskanieSandy . We'll archive this idea for the moment, and if you have time, we'd love to hear the results of the research. 

Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni
Status changed to: Archived

ClatskanieSandy
Community Member

0C432FA4-CD8B-4F4C-99ED-A6C421A49903 (1).jpeg

Here is an image showing our problem for the students.  I have unchecked the box.  This student has 69% approximately for all homework assigned and either turned in, graded or not turned in.  For Exams though, there is one coming up on November 3rd, and is the only exam (100 points), and it is giving a zero percent as if not completed but already assigned, then puts it in the weighted percent on the bottom which shows 48%.  For this case, the student can look at the classwork to see actual grade, but for most, there are other tests that would be on the Exam line, as well as possible future assignments, that would change the Classwork line item percent.  This is exactly the same on my computer, and the student's.  It is adding into the calculations all future assignments from both student and linked observer platforms.  Any ideas?  I'm hoping setup config might give some options but I do not have that access or know if it is possible.  Yet.  🐵  Thanks again! Sandy