More contrast in colors used in the gradebook.

This idea has been developed and deployed to Canvas

Idea open for vote Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016  Learn more about voting...

The current Canvas Gradebook uses colors in cells to highlight certain conditions What do the icons and colors in the Gradebook represent? which I find to be a useful feature.

However, I find that the colors and shading currently used can be hard to distinguish.  The pink shading works well, but gets a little lost when the cell also has gray lined shading.  I find it hard to distinguish the yellow shading in any circumstances.

This isn't so bad when I'm working with a large external monitor, but is a big problem when I'm using a smaller laptop screen.

I was also trying to show this to some colleagues recently using a data projector, but the colors were so washed out it was impossible to see the yellow even on a wall sized screen.

I will not offer a solution - this should be done by someone with training and expertise in UI (user interface) design.  I will suggest that rather than just looking to color the cell, it might be useful to look at other effects, for example changing the color or weight of the cell outline.

Comments from Instructure

For more information, please read through the Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-11-18) 

For additional information about the New Gradebook, please visit New Gradebook Users Group and the Canvas Release: New Gradebook document.

13 Comments
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

@woodsdm2 ​

Thank you for your excellent submission!   Your synopsis of the issue you would like resolved, and the use cases in which you experience it, are very helpful.  Your idea will open for voting Feb. 3rd. 

In the meantime.  I am going to send this to or Accessibility point as an FYI!

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

There was a similar idea posted for voting in October. 

woodsdm2
Community Contributor

Being able to customize colors would be nice.

My request is more about just making this feature usable as it is.  My thought is that adjusting the colors and shading is probably less work than adding the ability to customize them.

Sending this to your Accessibility group is helpful - I'd be interested in their comments or idea for improving this.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

This idea has moved to the next stage and will be open for voting among the Canvas Community, from Wed. February 3, 2016 - Wed. May 4, 2016.

Check out this doc for additional details about how the voting process works!

woodsdm2
Community Contributor

Based on recent Canvas updates, I want to add one more thing to this request.

After a recent update, I notice that when an assignment is muted, the scores for that assignment are shown in a color that is very hard to distinguish from the background.  One of the things I like to do before un-muting an assignment, I like to review the ranges of scores, who hasn't submitted, etc. and this is now impossible with the lack of contrast between the color for the score and the background.

I think it is useful to make the font color for muted assignments different from un-muted assignments, but the current situation doesn't work for me. 

garciah
Community Champion

"I will suggest that rather than just looking to color the cell, it might be useful to look at other effects, for example changing the color or weight of the cell outline."

I would like to advocate for this solution. Color alone is not sufficient from an accessibility standpoint. For those individuals who can't perceive different colors, we need a different type of visual indicator for identifying late submissions or resubmissions in the grade book.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team

182610_pastedImage_6.pngWe appreciate you, and the submission of your idea. Your dialogue helps our product teams prioritize feature development. Unfortunately, this idea has been archived because it did not meet the 100-vote threshold within the 3-month voting period. Learn more at: How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

Can archived ideas still become a feature?  Potentially, yes. Archived ideas can be resubmitted by Community members. As people’s needs change, previously submitted ideas may gain additional traction. Feature ideas are evaluated as a whole and influence product direction.

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
Comments from Instructure

This idea is in development as part of Priority: Gradebook Enhancements‌ phase 1.

Some of the phase 1 features are available for testing via the Focus Group: New Gradebook‌.  If you do not have access you can request it through your local Canvas admin or CSM (customer success manager).

Renee_Carney
Community Team
Community Team
This idea has been developed and is On Canvas Beta How do I access the Canvas beta environment?

For more information, please read through the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-11-06) .

For additional information about the New Gradebook, please visit New Gradebook Users Group and the Canvas Release: New Gradebook document.